xLODGen - Terrain LOD beta 109 for FNV, FO3, FO4, FO4VR, TES5, SSE, TES5VR, ENDERAL, ENDERALSE

sheson

Without any context - like doing what - xEdit is probably waiting for user input or an external process to complete.

What can I do to add context?

The only things that run together with xEdit are the AV, the system apps, Total Commander, which is something like Windows Explorer, Steam and Google Chrome with discord.

Also, xEdit was generating LOD for terrain when that PS was taken, following the SSE Step guide, the xLodgen part, to the letter, I triple quadruple checked. All cells selected, LOD8 to LOD32 using the guide settings.

There are no popup windows in xEdit.

Anyway, I just deleted the settings from AppData, reinstalled fresh in an empty folder, and trying it again following the steps and settings in the Step xLodgen guide for SSE.

Please let me know what you need for more context if xEdit stalls again.

Thank you very very much, and sorry.

EDIT: The AV is NoD32, Internet Security variant. 

EDIT2: After restarting fresh, following the SSE Step guide xLodgen, xEdit started using around 65% of the CPU, then after a minute or so is using only about 15% constantly with rare spikes that can go up to 100%. I have an I7 and I am using the 64 version of xLODGEN. 

EDIT3: I have even disabled screens going off, if there is the slightest chance that it interferes with it. I don't ever use system sleep, hibernation is disabled, the computer is never shut down, only restarted if it's required.

Edited by Stefan

What can I do to add context?

The only things that run together with xEdit are the AV, the system apps, Total Commander, which is something like Windows Explorer, Steam and Google Chrome with discord.

Also, xEdit was generating LOD for terrain when that PS was taken, following the SSE Step guide, the xLodgen part, to the letter, I triple quadruple checked. All cells selected, LOD8 to LOD32 using the guide settings.

There are no popup windows in xEdit.

Anyway, I just deleted the settings from AppData, reinstalled fresh in an empty folder, and trying it again following the steps and settings in the Step xLodgen guide for SSE.

Please let me know what you need for more context if xEdit stalls again.

Thank you very very much, and sorry.

EDIT: The AV is NoD32, Internet Security variant. 

EDIT2: After restarting fresh, following the SSE Step guide xLodgen, xEdit started using around 65% of the CPU, then after a minute or so is using only about 15% constantly with rare spikes that can go up to 100%. I have an I7 and I am using the 64 version of xLODGEN. 

EDIT3: I have even disabled screens going off, if there is the slightest chance that it interferes with it. I don't ever use system sleep, hibernation is disabled, the computer is never shut down, only restarted if it's required.

As I already said: like doing what? What exactly was the programs doing at the time of the screenshot.

Generating terrain LOD is two major different things: generating terrain LOD meshes and terrain LOD textures.

xEdit/xLODGen uses external process like LODGen to generate terrain LOD meshes and TexConv to convert terrain LOD textures. At times xEdit/xLODGen has to wait for these external process to complete their tasks.

I have no idea what you going on about, because it is not clear if there is a problem and if there is a problem what it is exactly.

It is perfectly normal for xLODgen.exe to have anything between 0% and 100% CPU. It totally depends on what it is doing at the time.

Edited by sheson

Ok, thanks for the support.

I have reverted to beta 64, cleared the AppData xLODgen folder, installed it in a fresh folder, and for now it seems to work, it has already generated 3gb of files, so it's past the breaking point that lead to the previous 2 sessions crashes.

Something happened when I updated to 65, probably I should have cleared the AppData folder too, not only the program files. 

Also, I wasn't complaining, you said you need context, so I was giving context. About CPU usage, about OS, AV, what I was doing. 

Happy new year.

PS: When I showed you the first screenshot where xEdit was idle, it was idle for at least 1-2 hours, while it was supposed to generate meshes or textures. I left it running on one of the screens together with the task manager. So it was not a case of going from 0 to 100. But it doesn't matter now, since reverting to 64 seems to have done the trick.

Also, I work in IT, I am 40 years old, and I work on PCs since the first year of university 22 years ago. So while I am not accustomed with xLODGEN, I do know how to handle a PC, and know how a CPU behaves. Just as a note.

Edited by Stefan

Ok, thanks for the support.

I have reverted to beta 64, cleared the AppData xLODgen folder, installed it in a fresh folder, and for now it seems to work, it has already generated 3gb of files, so it's past the breaking point that lead to the previous 2 sessions crashes.

Something happened when I updated to 65, probably I should have cleared the AppData folder too, not only the program files. 

Also, I wasn't complaining, you said you need context, so I was giving context. About CPU usage, about OS, AV, what I was doing. 

Happy new year.

PS: When I showed you the first screenshot where xEdit was idle, it was idle for at least 1-2 hours, while it was supposed to generate meshes or textures. I left it running on one of the screens together with the task manager. So it was not a case of going from 0 to 100. But it doesn't matter now, since reverting to 64 seems to have done the trick.

Also, I work in IT, I am 40 years old, and I work on PCs since the first year of university 22 years ago. So while I am not accustomed with xLODGEN, I do know how to handle a PC, and know how a CPU behaves. Just as a note.

There is no need or requirement to clear the AppDarta folder. It would be part of the instructions if it were.

I still have no idea if it was doing meshes or textures, if it waited for LODGen or TexConv background processes to complete.

• +1 1

I can confirm that it worked after downgrading to 64 and clearing the AppData, just downgrading by using a new folder the beta 64 didn't work. I don't know what happened.

I have just finished the terrain generation and the full 9GB are there, no crash, the CPU was never idle, and I got to see the end message. 

PS: I want to apologize if I appeared disrespectful or looking for a quarrel. I appreciate the work you are doing, for free, so thank you very much again for the apps and support. 

I can confirm that it worked after downgrading to 64 and clearing the AppData, just downgrading by using a new folder the beta 64 didn't work. I don't know what happened.

I have just finished the terrain generation and the full 9GB are there, no crash, the CPU was never idle, and I got to see the end message. 

PS: I want to apologize if I appeared disrespectful or looking for a quarrel. I appreciate the work you are doing, for free, so thank you very much again for the apps and support. 

If you find the time, do the same with the latest version again and have an eye at what part (check the message log) it starts waiting. Then check if there are LODGen or TexConv processes running in the background.

If you find the time, do the same with the latest version again and have an eye at what part (check the message log) it starts waiting. Then check if there are LODGen or TexConv processes running in the background.

I will try to do it this evening. Now it's morning, 9 am.

Edited by Stefan

Hello, every time I generate new occlusion data, and press X when the generation is complete I get the following warning messages:

view?usp=sharing

Is this supposed to happen?

Also, is it necessary to regenerate object and trees LoD with DyndoLoD after regenerating terrain LoD with XLoDGen?

Thanks in advance

Edited by VComrade

Hello, every time I generate new occlusion data, and press X when the generation is complete I get the following warning messages:

view?usp=sharing

Is this supposed to happen?

Also, is it necessary to regenerate object and trees LoD with DyndoLoD after regenerating terrain LoD with XLoDGen?

Thanks in advance

https://forum.step-project.com/topic/15375-xlodgen-rename-delete-error/

Oh okay thanks, so it should not mess up anything? 

Discard everything that is not Occlusion.

Each LOD type works independent of each other. If there were a requirement to do anything it would be part of the instructions in the manual. Also see the chapter "Updating" in the DynDOLOD manual.

Discard everything that is not Occlusion.

Each LOD type works independent of each other. If there were a requirement to do anything it would be part of the instructions in the manual. Also see the chapter "Updating" in the DynDOLOD manual.

How do I discard it? I can only press "ok".

Edited by VComrade