DoubleYou

Dare I make a suggestion? bAlwaysActive=1 is a setting that I find generally useful. I like to discord and do other things while the game is running certain lengthy sequences that I've been through a million times, and having the game pause when I alt+tab prevents that. I always have to search for this setting because it isn't even added with 0 value to the ini by default. Could be useful to have a toggle in the GUI with this setting, because not all users may want it =1.

• 1 month later...

Hi DoubleYou, 

I wonder if you would be so kind as to help me. I started modding, or rather, trying to mod Skyrim SE on NYE and now 9 days later I am back to square one with a freshly installed Windows 10 and obviously freshly installed Skyrim SE! 

I'm following this Concise Skyrim mod installation guide: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/38334. It says that you need to get the vanilla game running smoothly at 60fps before trying to add any mods. And with this I am struggling bigly! I've tried 3 or 4 different methods I've found to up the fps to 60. The first time it worked but with abysmal screen tear, then after installing SKSE it would no longer load the game. So I reset the PC (thinking that my previous failed attempts to install 100+ mods before uninstalling them all and the game itself to start again had irreversibly knackered any chance of modding Skyrim on my laptop).

Re-installed Windows, updated all drivers, re-installed Skyrim, (system restore point here) auto cleaned the master files with SSEdit, tried a different method editing INIs to increase fps but couldn't get it to work this time in vanilla.

So I restored system to just after the fresh install, ran SSEdit AutoClean again, installed SKSE then downloaded Havok Fix and a Refresh Rate Fix and they increased fps to 60 in the SKSE version but again with horrific screen tear - and they did nothing to the vanilla version (of course). 

Other guides advised changing various settings in the NVIDIA Control Panel to stop screen tear - Triple Buffering ON, VSync ON, Power Options to Performance etc but none of them stopped the screen tear. 

So I restored my system to just after my fresh install, ran SSEdit AutoClean, then found your BethINI.

Just two questions for you if you wouldn't mind:

1) Does BethINI fix the fps on NVIDIA GPU laptops to 60fps, without causing screen tear? 

2) Does it matter that I have in my Documents\My Games\Skyrim folder the following:

Skyrim.ini

Skyrim.ini.baked

Skyrim.ini.base

SkyrimPrefs.ini

SkyrimPrefs.ini.baked

SkyrimPrefs.ini.base ??? I've not seen mention of .baked and .base anywhere else and google comes up with nothing!

I really hope you can help me. I'm at the end of my tether but too far committed and too seduced by all the mods I've seen to give up! Probably could have just led with the questions and saved you reading all about my sordid modding history, but I'm pessimistic that BethINI alone will solve it (surely not) so wanted to give you all the info in case you or someone else is kind enough to help me. 

Thanks,

Derk. 

System:

MSI Laptop GS72 6QE

Intel® Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz, 2601 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
16GB RAM
GeForce GTX970m 3GB RAM

Monitor is Projecting to Phillips 4K TV - 60Hz

BethINI manages only the default game INI files. Since the game has VSync, and caps your FPS to 60fps by default, there should be no screen tearing if you use it and turn on its VSync. And in your situation, that is probably all you really need. However, I recommend that everyone uses SSE Display Tweaks to control everything to do with framerate, VSync, etc. I do NOT recommend using the separate Havok Fix or Refresh Rate fix mods, as SSE Display Tweaks does all this for you.

The baked and base files were created by Vortex. Are you using Vortex, or in all your nuclear actions, is that gone now? If so, you can just delete those.

BethINI manages only the default game INI files. Since the game has VSync, and caps your FPS to 60fps by default, there should be no screen tearing if you use it and turn on its VSync. And in your situation, that is probably all you really need. However, I recommend that everyone uses SSE Display Tweaks to control everything to do with framerate, VSync, etc. I do NOT recommend using the separate Havok Fix or Refresh Rate fix mods, as SSE Display Tweaks does all this for you.

The baked and base files were created by Vortex. Are you using Vortex, or in all your nuclear actions, is that gone now? If so, you can just delete those.

Thanks for getting back to me mate. 

I was using Vortex yeah and I saved my Saves folder before going nuclear and then copied them back over, so they must just be left over from my previous modding attempts. Will delete them now. 

So BethINI should get me to 60fps in vanilla and then I can add mods then. Ok, thanks a lot dude! Hopefullly I won't need any more advice! Much appreciated. 

"Reset Nvidia to default settings. Is it capped at 30fps?

Done and loaded game, still 30fps.  

"Ensure your laptop display isn't set to 30hz. If you are playing at 4k, it might only support 30hz. You may need to drop down to 1920x1080 to get 60hz."

I'm projecting the display to my 4k TV which is 60Hz, but I read yesterday that my GFX card can't output 4k to a TV anyway (wish I'd know that before buying the TV!)

In Advanced Display Settings it says:

Phillips TV

Desktop Resolution 1920 x 1080

Active Signal Resolution 1920 x 1080

Refresh Rate 59.940Hz

- so that looks right doesn't it?

All the other solutions I tried said to type or change iPresentInterval =0 in the Skyrim.ini, and another similar one about VSync but those lines aren't in there anymore. Does that matter?

I changed the HDMI input from slot 3 to slot 1 (read online that they can have different capabilities) and it's now running at 60fps (yay) but with bad screen tear (booo). 

In the Windows Advanced Display Settings if I click 'Display adaptor properties for Display 2' a new window opens and in there there is an Adapter tab which says Intel HD 530 is my adapter type, then a Monitor tab which says Generic PnP monitor and refresh rate is set to 60Hz.

I've looked through the TV's settings menus and searched online but can't see anyway to check or adjust the refresh rate through the TV. In the aforementioned 'Display adaptor properties for Display 2' there is an option to change refresh rate to '30Hz Interlaced', will that do the trick?

Here are the TV's specs from manufacturer website:

Supported Display Resolution

Computer inputs on all HDMI
  • up to 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 @60 Hz
  • HDR supported, HDR10+/HLG
Video inputs on all HDMI
  • up to 4K UHD 3840 x 2160 @60 Hz
  • HDR supported
  • HDR10/HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma)
  • HDR10+/Dolby Vision

You need it to use your graphics card, which is the Nvidia GTX 970m. The Intel 530 is the integrated graphics, which is going to be bad quality. Use the hdmi port of your graphics card. We just need to figure out what is wrong with the refresh rate.

You need it to use your graphics card, which is the Nvidia GTX 970m. The Intel 530 is the integrated graphics, which is going to be bad quality. Use the hdmi port of your graphics card. We just need to figure out what is wrong with the refresh rate.

Windowed Borderless Mode FTW! 60fps and zero screen tear!

Thanks for your assistance Dubya!

Is windowed borderless mode problematic at all for running heavily modded Skyrim though or can I crack on now?

You missed this message mate! Yeah it's working and using the GFX card. My laptop's power button is orange when the GFX card is being used and white when the intel one is. Just played about 10 minutes and it was orange the whole time.

One last question then I'll leave you alone! Would you recommend me using Mod Organiser 2 or is it ok to stick with Vortex which I half know now?