DoubleYou

I did some testing regarding VM script loading.

My heavy modded game got script overloads with the following activated:

Background Load Scripting VM (BethINI)

bBackgroundLoadVMData (Ini entry itself)

In combination with fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS 6000

(BethINI default is 2000)

After deactivating the VM for the scripts, a fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS of 3000 is enough to prevent any overloads. (extensivly tested)

I interpret it as the VM option is far worse in script performance and badly optimized for the Special Edition.

I strongly suggest you to deactivate it by default.

I am more than happy to set bBackgroundLoadVMData to its default value, but I am very much interested if you could present the data supporting this. I'm not sure why you would increase fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS if you were experiencing overloads. I have heard recent complaints that high fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS can cause issues as well, and I'm not sure who to believe, as I haven't experienced such problems myself.

@DW

I didn't know you were a py coder

I wouldn't call myself a py coder yet. I'm teaching myself as I go. It will probably be a little buggy at first, so I will probably have to release a beta when I'm ready. I'm most excited about how easy it will be to add new settings once it's completed. I won't have to do any additional Python coding, as I'm making each setting based off a JSON file with some easy-to-read-and-write code:

"Windowed Mode": {
  "tooltip": "Toggles windowed/fullscreen mode.",
  "type": "Checkbutton",
  "Onvalue": "0",
  "Offvalue": "1",
  "targetINIs": [ "SkyrimPrefs.ini" ],
  "targetSections": [ "Display" ],
  "settings": [ "bFull Screen" ]
}

Untitled.png

The goal is to make it so anybody can make an extension to add support for any game/application INI file.

I am more than happy to set bBackgroundLoadVMData to its default value, but I am very much interested if you could present the data supporting this. I'm not sure why you would increase fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS if you were experiencing overloads. I have heard recent complaints that high fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS can cause issues as well, and I'm not sure who to believe, as I haven't experienced such problems myself.

My script overload was easily noticeable due to the suspended stacks within the log file as well as occasional "soft-freezes" while my Skyrim was executing scripts packages from mods.

Also in average every fifth try to chop firewood led into a glitch. Thats why I've choosen that for the tests.

One of the tests was a value of 20 000 ms with vm - All 40 tries to chop were successful

Another one was 6 000 ms with vm - One of 40 failed

One was 3 000 ms without vm - Also one of 40 failed

I've set it to 3 500 ms without vm and (until now) I didn't got any issues in chopping or anything from mods.

If that changes, I will write again.

What really intrigues me is that you talk about fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS as if it actually has an effect while you are chopping the wood. I have always understood that this value is merely at the end of the loading screen for the startup of the scene scripts, and then unused while actually playing, chopping wood. Perhaps this is not the case. I really know little about the games scripts, TBH.

BTW, what mod modifies chopping wood to make it such a performance hog for you? You have decent enough specs that I wouldn't think such a menial task would cause an issue. How did the issue affect the game?

It means start a new game. I think there is a console procedure (e.g., FOV 80) that might work on existing saves, but I'm not positive. 

Thanks but it didn't work, still FOV 70, I started new game and tried the console command to see if anything would change to test if the program had worked, It hadn't :(

Thanks but it didn't work, still FOV 70, I started new game and tried the console command to see if anything would change to test if the program had worked, It hadn't :(

I got it to work sort of, you're apparently able to change the fov for the pipboy too but I couldn't get it to work. But this seems to set my fov and save:

fov 85 85

saveini

Drem Yol Lok.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your modding efforts - it certainly has helped simple people such as myself to get more enjoyment out of their games and machines; I've recently come across your tool after a very long period away from FO/TES, and I am happy to tell you that BethINI works fantastically with my heavily-modded SSE.

I have an issue, however, with getting the tool to work with Fallout 4, however - I have tried searching online on Google as well as on the forums, but I was unable to find a similar report on the issue which you can see here.

BethINI reports not having write access when I am the only user/administrator - and for that matter, have verified under the Security tab of the folder properties, do have write permissions.

I have little hope that you'd be able to help, as I think it's an isolated problem on my end or something, so if you can't help, that's fine - either way, I wish you all the best in your future endeavours, especially in the modding scene.

Lok Thu'um.

What really intrigues me is that you talk about fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS as if it actually has an effect while you are chopping the wood. I have always understood that this value is merely at the end of the loading screen for the startup of the scene scripts, and then unused while actually playing, chopping wood. Perhaps this is not the case. I really know little about the games scripts, TBH.

BTW, what mod modifies chopping wood to make it such a performance hog for you? You have decent enough specs that I wouldn't think such a menial task would cause an issue. How did the issue affect the game?

It's vanilla chopping. My alter ego stands in front of the wood a does nothing. But the camera has already changed.

The only way to prevent reloading is to start another animation like sitting down or trying to chop once again. Hard to do while the camera is glitchy and the cursor is disappeared.

Here I found a post that gives some indication of the value's impact. Based on oldrim and the slightly different ini entries. (ATM seems to be offline so I'm not sure if it's the right site)

It's vanilla chopping. My alter ego stands in front of the wood a does nothing. But the camera has already changed.

The only way to prevent reloading is to start another animation like sitting down or trying to chop once again. Hard to do while the camera is glitchy and the cursor is disappeared.

Here I found a post that gives some indication of the value's impact. Based on oldrim and the slightly different ini entries. (ATM seems to be offline so I'm not sure if it's the right site)

What kind of FPS do you get? The main reason scripts fail is because it is only given so much time in a given framerate to complete, and if you pile on too many mods and get your framerate down to 15 fps (true story - old laptop), scripts start acting up (I had Intel HD Graphics playing Oldrim -- it was terrible! Take like 5 seconds for hotkeys to equip items, or fail and not do it at all). Naturally, I can see how this could be an issue, loading extra scripts in the background, while trying to process other scripts.

Drem Yol Lok.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your modding efforts - it certainly has helped simple people such as myself to get more enjoyment out of their games and machines; I've recently come across your tool after a very long period away from FO/TES, and I am happy to tell you that BethINI works fantastically with my heavily-modded SSE.

I have an issue, however, with getting the tool to work with Fallout 4, however - I have tried searching online on Google as well as on the forums, but I was unable to find a similar report on the issue which you can see here.

BethINI reports not having write access when I am the only user/administrator - and for that matter, have verified under the Security tab of the folder properties, do have write permissions.

I have little hope that you'd be able to help, as I think it's an isolated problem on my end or something, so if you can't help, that's fine - either way, I wish you all the best in your future endeavours, especially in the modding scene.

Lok Thu'um.

BethINI is failing to write Fallout4Custom.ini inside the C:\Users\KJRCr\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Fallout 4\BethINI Cache\ folder. Please verify that the INI Path provided for Fallout 4 is the correct location (C:\Users\KJRCr\OneDrive\Documents\My Games\Fallout 4\). Also, check if BethINI successfully created the BethINI Cache folder. If there is a log file in there, you can upload it to Pastebin and link here.