DoubleYou

So, I apologize if this is intended behavior or already known but I was futzing with some main menu replacers and noticed that the background mesh (spinning Skyrim logo or any wallpaper image replacer) was really dark and difficult to see and after spending awhile trying to track down what was causing it I found that the culprit was BethINI setting fShadowDistance to 0, though only if you select the "Poor" preset option or manually set fShadowDistance to 0 and save and quit.

If you select the "Remove Shadows" checkbox it will set fShadowDistance to 0.0001 and you don't have the shadowy main menu problem. Also "Remove Shadows" overrides manually setting to 0 if you don't exit first (giving 0.0001), while conversely selecting "Poor" overrides "Remove Shadows" if done before exit for what all that is worth. Anyway I thought poor=fShadowDistance=0 could have been intended (even if the main menu thing was annoying heh) but I figured with the inconsistency with "Remove Shadows" behavior at least one of the two was likely unintended?

Please take a look at my Bethini directories and tell me if they're actually set up right...  I notice some of my ini files in the steamapps/skyrimspecialedition directory are unchanged for over a month, which gives me doubt...  

The Recommended Tweaks checkbox is also always unchecked, after I save+close bethini, and open it again.

Edited by piranha45

You are using Mod Organizer, it appears, but your INI Path is not pointing to a Mod Organizer profile. Unless profile-specific INIs are not being used, you are modifying the wrong INI files. Click the dropdown for INI Path and select the appropriate profile you wish to modify INIs for.

Otherwise, everything looks normal.

Hey there,

First of all, I would like to thank you for giving birth to this smart innovation of yours. 

I'm writing here because I need some technical support. I've tried to look for people with similar issues but could not find anything.

The problem

- using any of the built in BethINI presets, the game closes without any error message upon interacting with some things - for instance, my game crashed when I had to "investigate the dragon" in the game or when I tried to read a book 

- another issue that I seem is that whenever I launch the game after playing around with some graphic settings (in Basic, Detail and Visual tabs) the launcher detects my graphic driver again and sets everything back to Low settings, so nothing actually changes in the game on a graphic level

Details:

- I have Skyrim SE, not the Steam version

- I do not have any other mods installed 

- not sure if this is relevant (and tbh I don't know much about computers, but maybe this is connected to the issue), but it seems in the BethINI configuration files "Intel® HD Graphics 4000" is used instead of my actual video card (GeForce 640M LE)

• if I check my NVIDIA Settings, it shows that GeForce 640M LE is being used 

- as mentioned above, so far I can only confirm that the graphic changes do not seem to work at all, however, I have managed to successfully turn off the intro using BethINI 

reverting the changes actually fixes the crashes, so I can run the game and play without issues, however I still would love to utilize your creation and enjoy the game with less FPS lag on higher graphic settings 

What do you think could solve the problems stated? 

If you want, I'd be more than happy to see what other interactions within the game can cause it to crash. Also, let me know if you have any other questions. 

Hey there,

First of all, I would like to thank you for giving birth to this smart innovation of yours. 

I'm writing here because I need some technical support. I've tried to look for people with similar issues but could not find anything.

The problem

- using any of the built in BethINI presets, the game closes without any error message upon interacting with some things - for instance, my game crashed when I had to "investigate the dragon" in the game or when I tried to read a book 

- another issue that I seem is that whenever I launch the game after playing around with some graphic settings (in Basic, Detail and Visual tabs) the launcher detects my graphic driver again and sets everything back to Low settings, so nothing actually changes in the game on a graphic level

Details:

- I have Skyrim SE, not the Steam version

- I do not have any other mods installed 

- not sure if this is relevant (and tbh I don't know much about computers, but maybe this is connected to the issue), but it seems in the BethINI configuration files "Intel® HD Graphics 4000" is used instead of my actual video card (GeForce 640M LE)

• if I check my NVIDIA Settings, it shows that GeForce 640M LE is being used 

- as mentioned above, so far I can only confirm that the graphic changes do not seem to work at all, however, I have managed to successfully turn off the intro using BethINI 

reverting the changes actually fixes the crashes, so I can run the game and play without issues, however I still would love to utilize your creation and enjoy the game with less FPS lag on higher graphic settings 

What do you think could solve the problems stated? 

If you want, I'd be more than happy to see what other interactions within the game can cause it to crash. Also, let me know if you have any other questions. 

The solution is most likely to buy and install the Steam version of the game. BethINI requires certain game files in order to function properly, and if those files are not there, or have been tampered with, it will cause the issues you describe.

That sounds like a vsync issue possibly? Make sure you have some kind of vsync on.

Tried everything like forcing vsync capping 60 fps like i have similar issue to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UajLl-5PmA

its just not on this scale level like his flickering is insane i have like tiny one comparing to that but still annoying and my screen lines go in like loop from top to bottom and i know this only started when i first time activated this bethini and reverting back to old state before this mod changed anything also doesnt help so ye idk how i can pin point the issue 

I am pretty sure that I have seen what you are referring to, and iirc it was something to do with vsync. There are a whole bunch of mods that can influence vsync. Several of the SKSE loader mods have a vsync line. SSE Display Tweaks is one. ENB can. Drivers can. iVsyncPresentInterval in SkyrimPrefs.ini controls it.

That said, you can upload a copy of your current INIs to pastebin, I can look at them and see if anything in there is the problem.

ENB Mode checkbox is only available for Oldrim.

I did some testing regarding VM script loading.

My heavy modded game got script overloads with the following activated:

Background Load Scripting VM (BethINI)

bBackgroundLoadVMData (Ini entry itself)

In combination with fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS 6000

(BethINI default is 2000)

After deactivating the VM for the scripts, a fPostLoadUpdateTimeMS of 3000 is enough to prevent any overloads. (extensivly tested)

I interpret it as the VM option is far worse in script performance and badly optimized for the Special Edition.

I strongly suggest you to deactivate it by default.