SSE SkyrimPrefs INI Guide

DoubleYou

1 hour ago, z929669 said:

Install the widescreen fix anywhere under Resources or Extenders (if meets the mod's requirements). The others should go just after their corresponding mods.

Perfect, thank you! Although we kind of steered away from the topic, this was all some good information! Maybe it's a good idea to make a new topic in the Step guide forum with instructions and add a note to it somewhere in the guide. Or maybe make a new wiki page with the instructions and add a link to it somewhere in the guide?

And maybe it's a good idea to split the widescreen fix part of this topic into a new topic, since this is no longer about INI editing

Edited by notcyf

• 4 months later...

Contrary to the wiki.
I found fCloudNearFadeDistance actually DOES make a difference. 

Needless to say it's very subtle.   If you shrink the distance, when you are at the top of the mountains you can see the clouds a lot closer.  This is particularly notable when viewing over long distances from the mountain peaks.

Likewise increasing it substantially will make sure you can't see clouds on the nearby mountaintops, and can only see them in the distance. 

This is honestly so subtle you likely won't notice it without turning down dynamic DOF, even if you  have a habit of scouting from mountaintops.   I play with the DOF effect strength halved, so it is more noticeable to me.   Generally the default setting is very good for most players, but if you find the clouds annoying you can push them back, or if you like them up close you can set them closer.   

Because of the nature of cloud perception you only need to move it up to 7000 to make a noticeable difference closer.  However to make them further out you will need to move several orders of magnitude out.    This is due to the closest clouds being referenced by the eye against the mountaintops, which are often very far off.  The only real way to gauge it is to climb the peak at one end of a rift of high mountains, and then look down the ridgeline to see where the clouds start.   I found that Shearpoint is a very good place to do this.

• 1 year later...

Is this a good place to put older findings and some minimal testing?

EDIT: Just going to put my comments here because there isn't much traffic. This is from an old reddit comment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/dql7tq/3rd_person_movement_input_delay_fix/f6924o6/

https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/dql7tq/3rd_person_movement_input_delay_fix/f6a4426/

Just going to elaborate on the others here, from testing I just did(the dialogue changes and the 3p movement response works just fine):

fMaxMoveRampDownDelta=1000.0000 - the default is 500 according to STEP.

At 500 it's irrelevant, just an immediate stop. 1k doesn't do anything either, 2-3-5k, nothing. At 100, 50, 20, seems the same. At 10, maayyybbbe some delay is happening.

Going down to 5 starts changing, it slightly increases the phase out of movement, a step or step and a half extra for about a second. At 2 it takes ~4-5 secs to ramp down from pressing down enough to get full run speed(idk if it's full run speed, see below), and it lets you tap on movement keys, first tap being a slow to fast walk, second tap being a slow to fast jog, and third tap being full speed running or close to it. Taps in quick succession if more than one. (this is while having run toggled on) At 1 it takes around 7-8 secs to ramp down, has maybe 3-4 tap modes, etc.

At 0 it behaves weirdly. For one, the movement never stops after tapping quickly or holding down a movement key enough to get max speed, just keeps going, there's no ramp down and no stop at all, infinite. Tapping, depending on how hard or how long, idk which or if both, gives a very slow walk, slow walk, fast walk, slow jog, fast jog, or a slow run. It doesn't seem to get to max speed for running unless I hit the sprint button and then let go in which case it's noticeably faster than the fastest run I get from just tapping or holding without activating sprint. It is also much harder to stop fully, when running forward I hit the back button and instead gives a suuuuuuuuuuppppper slow walk backward. These various taps, holds, or presses, or various speeds, or not getting max speed could apply to the other higher settings but it's just not as noticeable to me, idk.

Method of testing: Walking and running sideways and forward/backward in Dragonsreach.

Best setting for me, if you want the effect, seems to be between, let's say 4 and up to 9. But keep in mind I just tested the above settings specifically, so I'm making assumptions. Also keep in mind that this is in a vacuum with only its effect being modified, it's possible setting it at 500 gives headroom for other effects in the game to work(ie some effect that works off setting this momentarily to 1 by saying "-499", like a slow time effect, idk). For 3rd Person only.

I found this when trying to learn more about DampenTime, seems to be the companion setting. "This line adds delay to the beginning of your movement, meaning you will take a slower step or two before jogging."

• fControllerSampleThreshold=0.25
  • fPlayerThirdPersonDampenTime=0.25

Tried .1, .5, 1, 100, 500. Didn't notice any change from them. Only did a little testing.

Also saw fControllerDampenTime. Didn't test, but mentioning here.

• fDirectionalDeadzone=0.0
  • fFreezeDirectionDefaultAngleThreshold=0.0000
  • fFreezeDirectionDefaultSpeedThreshold=0.0000
  • fReverseDirThreshold=0.0

Couldn't tell what these did, if anything. STEP says they're around 40-50 for default, put them around 100 and didn't notice anything, 1000 nothing. Only did a little testing.

Edited by onedoor