MO is naming folders in some wing-ding language

Ra1v1n

Question

I downloaded a fresh copy of the MO .exe file earlier this morning and installed it on my external hard drive in preparation for a new install of Skyrim. When I opened the folder, 3 of the files had strange names. This had happened on my previous installation of MO and was the reason I got a fresh copy of the .exe, though that time, only 2 folders were misnamed. My rig, if you can call it that, is an HP Pavilion 23 All-In-One, running Windows 10 on an AMD E2-2000 APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.75Ghz and 4GB of RAM. You can see from the included .jpgs what the issue is, I just have no idea why. Also, the first time this happened, the files names were only one symbol; as you can see this time they are 3. Additionally, I have already posted this over at GitHub... just trying to cover all my bases. ;) Oh, and regardless of the weirdness, I'm sticking with MO... I couldn't play Skyrim without it, nor would I want to! You rock, Tannin!!

post-12031-0-22018000-1510225583_thumb.jpgpost-12031-0-96394000-1510225597_thumb.jpgpost-12031-0-41797000-1510225606_thumb.jpgpost-12031-0-70925300-1510225614_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ra1v1n

4 answers to this question

Okay, folks... you're probably getting tired of me, so I'll post one last time and be gone like the wind... Reinstalled MO for the umpteenth time... and This time, it came out alright. The .exe still has the funky symbols in it for file names, but as long as I can read what's on the screen, I'm all good. Sorry to have wasted your time. You may return to your regularly scheduled programs. ;)

Just to satisfy my curiosity, I deleted the file I downloaded earlier and re-downloaded yet Another copy of the .exe file for MO. This was what I found inside...

post-12031-0-86471300-1510228951_thumb.jpg

Did the same thing again, with the same results. The drive I'm installing onto is an external terabyte hard drive with 381GBs of available space. If you need more info, just give me a holler. LOL

Edited by Ra1v1n

Looks like a hardware or file system problem with your external HDD. Or maybe a virus?

Do you have other files/folders with similar names on that drive outside Skyrim folder?

And if you download the same archive on your internal drive, can you read it properly?

Personally I would never install a big game on external HDD.

Looks like a hardware or file system problem with your external HDD. Or maybe a virus?

Do you have other files/folders with similar names on that drive outside Skyrim folder?

And if you download the same archive on your internal drive, can you read it properly?

Personally I would never install a big game on external HDD.

There are no other files named similarly on that drive, no. And the original incident was on my C: drive...files had funny, albeit different, names, but were readable. And I'm installing on my external drive because that I can take with me wherever I go and have my games with me... the computer, not so much. ;)

Edit.... Good Lord, I'm a moron! Just installed MO to my C drive and, in the process, realized what the problem was... my "installations" that had the issues weren't installations, but extractions. Apparently, those are 2 entirely different critters. This is what I get for mucking about on the computer when I have bronchitis and a fever. I'm going to go sit in the naughty corner for a personal time-out. I was baaaad.

Edited by Ra1v1n