STEP 3.0 Development Progess

TechAngel85

So what exactly will be changed in 3.0? I'm hoping for a program that auto-download and install mods from nexus, since it can take a few days to install it manually. 

Auto-downloading will never be allowed by Dark0ne, the owner of Nexus Mods, so forget about that.

Automatic installation, however, is possible.  Both the airbreather's StepperUpper and the beta Mod Picker Utility are capable of doing this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With USLEEP finally coming to a closure, how will STEP fix the bugs/problems that will arise when more bug/problems are to be found?

I'm kinda worried.

No need to worry. Skyrim LE is old and support for it is fading away. This is a natural move since SSE has really become a stable platform for modding. It will not hurt STEP simply because USLEEP will no longer release updates for Skyrim LE. When bugs are found within STEP, we will fix them. What we won't fix are things unrelated to a STEP installation. So the bugs USLEEP has been fixing all these years are not considered bugs within STEP, but rather bugs within the game itself. Honestly, there aren't a lot of "major" bugs to be fixed anymore. Most of what USLEEP has been doing for some time now are small bug fixes, which won't cause any major issues in the game, if left untouched. I'm not surprised at all that they're moving on to SSE-only support. Most of the major mods have already done this and this move by the Unofficial Patch team will likely cause a lot more mod authors to follow suit.

• 1 month later...

*pushes refresh button*

Been a couple months - I take it there's no significant update? Also... since it's been a while, you've referred to using a new CMS... which is what? CMS, I mean - not familiar with the term.

There's been progress, for sure, but nothing to really show. It's just been a lot of coding and getting things working. The new CMS is now able to use the forum database, so that is a huge step forward, in our opinion. The new site is starting to look really good.

As for the Guide's, they're basically finished. I still need to contact beta testers and get them working on testing things out. Just gotta find the time to pull all the info together for them.

CMS stands for "content management system". Common ones would be Word Press and Drupal. Mator is building our own from scratch to fulfill our purposes. In this he's also built a new text editor from scratch to use within the CMS which should fulfill everything we need it to do without having to jump into a bunch of code to do it.

Beautimus (Yes, it's a real word in the Navy. Trust me!). Thanks for the update and the explanation. Looking forward to getting back into Skyrim (DynDOLOD is running in the background for SLE as I type), and hearing that 3.0 is relatively close is great to hear.

Don't hold your breath, there, Sentroshi... soon is a relative term around here. If you already have most of 2.10.0 installed, I'd just fix it up and play that until the new version hits. If you don't.... well, I guess it depends on how badly you need your Skyrim fix. :)

If u are aiming for SSE Sentroshi, i can recommend "Tech's SSE Guide v2" - its really stable except XPMSSE (4.2 is working great, 4.3+ is crashing because of the WeaponScale-Script). I have played ~80h now, no Sciptlags or Crashes.

Hey Akatosh,

Thanks for the short anwser. In this case I will install the 2.1 Version.  Is there is reason, why i should choose SSE over the normal Legendary Skzrim Version?

I will use Perkus Maximus, not sure if it is working with SSE.

First, as an aside, his name is TechAngel... Akatosh is his title on the forums. Common mistake (He is kind of Divine...), no worries, just though I'd point it out.

As to the question regarding SSE vs. LE, SSE has a number of improvements over LE, starting with the fact that it's a 64 bit application as opposed to LE's 32 bit... which means that the classic problem of having your game crash to desktop from lack of memory (a very common CTD issue) will essentially be gone. It also makes a number of engine changes, particularly where lighting and lighting effects are concerned.

On the other hand, SSE doesn't have nearly the mod library that LE does, though a bunch of LE mods can be converted over with relative ease. I'm about to make the jump to SSE myself because of those memory CTD drops I mentioned earlier - though I could live with them, turns out I can't.

Can't speak to PerMa working or not with SSE - though I imagine if it is, there will be a link to the SSE version on the Nexus page if it does.

Archived