Lucidity Sound FX - Skyrim Freezing on Launch

LeftyPistolero

Question

Hello, I am a new STEP user and I have been attempting to build my STEP according to the guide for a few days now. I seem to have run into an issue I don't know how to fix.

I've been testing the STEP: Extended build as I move down the page and get more mods, keeping an eye out for potential issues. As soon as I download and install Lucidity Sound FX into my modlist (I'm using Mod Organizer), the game refuses to launch. I've done the entire STEP build once already and encountered this exact issue then as well. I traced it back to the Lucidity mod, and started from scratch fearing that I'd done something wrong.

Does anyone know what could be causing this issue? 

(My apologies if this post was created in the wrong location.)

What can I say? I'm old-fashioned.

Confirmed. This was the fix I needed.

Overlay programs interrupt the ENBHost process and cause crashes on launch ("Not responding", etc.). I thought I'd been incredibly careful  with my installation but the truth was a completely unrelated "helper" program sabotaged me.

Thank you so much for your help! Mention it to others so they don't get lost like me!

Edited by LeftyPistolero

UPDATE:

As I've continued working on the build (with Lucidity disabled) I have encountered several more mods that cause the same issue, all on the STEP list. There seems to be some variability to the issue as sometimes it occurs with mods that have worked previously. I'm starting to think this is some kind of issue with memory allocation or the like.

I have followed the guides here for ENBoost and editing INI files to the letter, but to get more mods working I had to delete the ENB files entirely. The only variation I have made to the entire STEP guide is in downloading higher-than-recommended textures. There MUST be some fundamental thing I'm missing, but after reading through the guide again I for the life of me cannot locate it.

Could this be occurring because I have not yet made a bashed patch? I wonder if this is what one would expect to see if they didn't properly merge files. I'm not yet to that point of the build and was merely testing for compatibility. I'll give that a shot and see if things begin working for me.

If that is the case I will post the results here. 

The issue appears to have been the ENBoost plugin. I'm not sure why it's causing crashes-on-load, but for now, it makes the game entirely unplayable. Does anyone have any additional information on why this sort of error occurs? I'd like to know more about what causes it so that I can plan around it.

Edited by LeftyPistolero

I have disabled all graphical mods and the game is stable. It seems that d3dx9.dll that launches ENBoost is what is causing the application launch hanging. This HAS to be related to the amount of VRAM I have available for the game to utilize. I have adjusted the settings up and down to no avail. Hardware wise, I have a Geforce GTX 950, but I have a 1080Ti on the way and will continue testing once it arrives. It's still a couple weeks out... because bitcoin miners.

Once I get things working I'll have some more concrete information to share with you guys. I just hope it helps someone out in the future.

Yes, my ENBlocal.ini was adjusted to meet the specifications outline in this guide. One possible problem with that is that I have 32GBs of RAM with only 2GBs of VRAM. I'm not sure if that throws off the "balance" for the "VideoMemorySizeMb=" parameter. It seems like as soon as I activate enough mods with this file active (it's currently deleted) that the game refuses to load.

It'll work fine with only a few mods active (around fifty). It will work fine with the file deleted and ALL mods active. Not both. Very odd stuff. Excited to figure it out, honestly.

Edited by LeftyPistolero

I have deleted the ENBoost files from my installation directory, but would be glad to create them again when I am able. It may not be until Tuesday as I have a lot to do this week. Thank you both for your help. It means a lot that you folks are out there making everybody's experience better.

OK, work is a LOT busier than I thought it would be this week so it took a bit longer than I thought. Here are my enblocal.ini settings. The crash occurs before Skyrim launches. If I delete the d3d9.dll file, everything works (well, not everything... I am still having an issue with exterior cell crashing but I'm still investigating that).

I also have SSME, and the d3dx9.dll and ssme.ini files in my installation directory. Deleting these files does not change the timing of the crash whatsoever.

Here are the settings:

[spoiler=enblocal.ini][PROXY]
EnableProxyLibrary=false
InitProxyFunctions=false
ProxyLibrary=other_d3d9.dll

[GLOBAL]
UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true
UseDefferedRendering=false
ForceFakeVideocard=false
IgnoreCreationKit=true

[PERFORMANCE]
SpeedHack=true
EnableOcclusionCulling=true

[MULTIHEAD]
ForceVideoAdapterIndex=false
VideoAdapterIndex=0

[MEMORY]
ExpandSystemMemoryX64=false
ReduceSystemMemoryUsage=true
DisableDriverMemoryManager=false
DisablePreloadToVRAM=false
EnableUnsafeMemoryHacks=false
ReservedMemorySizeMb=128
VideoMemorySizeMb=13750
EnableCompression=false
AutodetectVideoMemorySize=false

[WINDOW]
ForceBorderless=true
ForceBorderlessFullscreen=true

[ENGINE]
ForceAnisotropicFiltering=true
MaxAnisotropy=8
EnableVSync=true
AddDisplaySuperSamplingResolutions=false
ForceLodBias=false
LodBias=0.0
VSyncSkipNumFrames=0

[LIMITER]
WaitBusyRenderer=false
EnableFPSLimit=false
FPSLimit=60.0

[iNPUT]
//shift
KeyCombination=16
//f12
KeyUseEffect=123
//home
KeyFPSLimit=36
//num / 106
KeyShowFPS=106
//print screen
KeyScreenshot=44
//enter
KeyEditor=13
//f4
KeyFreeVRAM=115
KeyBruteForce=66
KeyDepthOfField=118

[ADAPTIVEQUALITY]
Enable=false
Quality=1
DesiredFPS=20.0

[ANTIALIASING]
EnableEdgeAA=false
EnableTemporalAA=false
EnableSubPixelAA=false
EnableTransparencyAA=false

[FIX]
FixGameBugs=true
FixParallaxBugs=false
FixAliasedTextures=true
IgnoreLoadingScreen=true
IgnoreInventory=true
FixSsaoWaterTransparency=true
FixSsaoHairTransparency=true
FixTintGamma=true
RemoveBlur=true
FixSubSurfaceScattering=true
FixParallaxTerrain=true
FixSkyReflection=true
FixCursorVisibility=true
FixLag=true
[THREADS]
DataSyncMode=0
PriorityMode=0
EnableUnsafeFixes=false
[LONGEXPOSURE]
EnableLongExposureMode=false
Time=1.0
BlendMax=0.0

EDIT: I have installed the DX9 runtimes twice, and recently I removed, re-downloaded and re-installed them.

Edited by LeftyPistolero