What is Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE? What does it do?

mentaltyranny

Question

Ever since I installed STEP, I have not figured out the deal with Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE.  I can't seem to figure it out from the STEP guide, wiki, Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE nexus page, and even here on the forums.  Accordingly, I was wondering if anyone here would mind answering the following questions:

1. What is Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE?
  2. What does it do?
  3. Does it do anything on its own (without an ENB preset)?
  4. Why is it in STEP Core?
  5. What is ENB-LITE?  Is Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE the same as ENB-LITE?
  6. If they are not the same, how does Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE change ENB-LITE?
  7. Why is ENB-LITE not included in STEP Core?  Or STEP Extended?
  8. Is ENB-Lite the best preset to use with Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE that fits with STEP's vision, despite being not included in STEP?
  9. Where do we find and how do we install this "best preset to use with Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE"?

Thanks in advance for everyone's time!

8 answers to this question

1. It's a helper mod meant for ENB authors. ^_^
  2. It normalizes lighting color values for more consistent and natural environments. This helps ENB authors control the colors of the lighting which makes their job easier.
  3. Yes. A good place to test this is in any interior. I've provided some shots below so you can see the difference.
  4. It's a lighting enhancement that is compatible with pretty much all the other lighting mods (except RLO). Those running ENB Presets will often find the author recommends ELE. STEP uses it for it's normalizing effect. The lighting in the shots below is evident of this. The second shot looks far more "natural". The lighting is bloomed out and the haze and gone. Of course we toss on Relighting Skyrim into the mix which will change the lighting from what you see below because there is still a lot of "ambient lighting" hanging around. RS will cause that interior to be pretty dark because it will put the light at the light sources (candles, chandeliers, etc) for even more realism.
  5. It's "lite" because it only includes part of what JawZ was working on: https://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1930 It's not an ENB.
  6. I'm not sure what this "ENB-LITE" that you're talking about is.
  7. What is "ENB-LITE"? Link?
  8. The best preset that fits into STEP's vision is ELEP: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/40729/? This ENB Preset maintains the vanilla colors but allows users to get some of the benefits of ENBs such as cloud shadows, enhanced shadows in general, SSAO, soft particle effects, etc.
  9. See #8.

The STEP specific file only covers the interiors. The full file will also cover exteriors, but it will make the exterior lighting look a bit wacky in places without an ENB Preset.

EDIT:

Forgot the shots...

Vanilla lighting  >>  Vanilla lighting + ELE

SkyrimSE_2017-07-01_08-33-48-63.jpgSkyrimSE_2017-07-01_08-34-55-78.jpg

Ever since I installed STEP, I have not figured out the deal with Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE.  I can't seem to figure it out from the STEP guide, wiki, Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE nexus page, and even here on the forums.  Accordingly, I was wondering if anyone here would mind answering the following questions:

Why is it in STEP Core?

I have wondered why Enhanced Lighting for ENB (ELE) - LITE is in STEP Core myself, too.

I don't use an ENB, so don't see much point in installing Enhanced Lighting for ENB (ELE) - LITE.

But I would like to add mods on top of STEP Core for darker dungeons and fog removal. But Enhanced Lighting for ENB (ELE) - LITE is (I believe) incompatible with these types of mods.

I think Enhanced Lighting for ENB (ELE) - LITE should be moved from STEP Core into STEP Extended.

What is ENB-LITE?  Is Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE the same as ENB-LITE?

I'm not sure what this "ENB-LITE" that you're talking about is.

I think he might be reading "Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE" in the S.T.E.P. mod list as "Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE", as in refering to some mod called ENB-LITE, when it should be read as "Enhanced Lighting for ENB-LITE", as in a light version of "Enhanced Lighting for ENB".

ELE removes fogs and provides darker interiors...as you can see in the pictures above.

The pictures you gave does make ELE look useful, compared to vanilla. But that is not directly relevant for STEP since STEP does not use vanilla lighting, STEP uses Relighting Skyrim.

So a more relevant comparison would be

vanilla + Relighting Skyrim versus vanilla + Relighting Skyrim + ELE

I did this test in the past and the difference I saw was not as big as shown in your pictures. ELE changed the color temperature to look "warmer", but not a lot darker.