Official STEP Lighting Solution

z929669

Agree on River wood trader. Honestly no single lighting fix is perfect yet. I know relighting sky rim is just now starting to work skylights etc so imagine it will improve over time. Its also the only one supporting dawn guard and soon hearthfire.

And exteriors.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ELFX (loose files, extracted) installed with your Skyrim Revisited mods plus some others, at the bottom in the package/overwriting order, and is only overwrite 19 files, 16 from SMIM and 3 from USKP. Totally worth it.

Ops, now I see already posted.

I will try Relighted also.

ps.: ELFX also comes with compatibles SMIM meshes, and it was updates today. And it probably is updated to USKP fixes, if not Neovalen take care of I'm sure. :)

If that's the recurring theme for ELFX then I say it can go. You didn't have any ENBs installed did you? Relighting Skyrim is definitely the best of the bunch here.

No, I disabled RCRN, ENB and any ENB related mods (fog, cave darkness, etc.)

I've always preferred 'Relighting Skyrim'. It does so much with just a small file, it covers interior and exterior light sources. It doesn't overdo it and now with --JawZ-- helping NovakDalton it's going to cover all DLC and get even better.

I'll get a few more comparison screenshots in a moment.

All these were taken inside Helgen Keep (cave):

Vanilla » Relighting Skyrim » ELFX

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Wow... I am not impressed by any of these. They all get the lighting direction wrong in one way or another ...

For ex. A fire pit only casts light up and out ... it would NOT produce a shadow on the ground

Complete agree with Z here. I don't like any of the mods in these shots. ELFX changes too much away from vanilla and if it changes enough it might go against the mandate. I don't like that they took away the candle horns.

Complete agree with Z here. I don't like any of the mods in these shots. ELFX changes too much away from vanilla and if it changes enough it might go against the mandate. I don't like that they took away the candle horns.

ELFX removes and/or moves candles, horns and other light fixtures in almost all locations.

Hence the hundreds or so meshes.

These are lighting source modifications, not shadow fixes necessarily ... although that could benefit. Vanilla gets a lot wrong, and all of these "fix" mods do some things very well, but they all make some undesirable changes too.

I think that we need to wait for these to evolve to the next level before pursuing, hence the testing should apply to the next release (i.e., plenty of time)

My point is that since in my experience these lighting overhauls have alot of problems still you shouldn't include any of them but consider at least include striping fixing since its one of the more obvious "bugs" and the mod I mentioned doesn't seem to have any real downsides that I've noticed so far. Shadow striping fix plays nicely and compliments ENBs and weather/lighting overhauls like CoT/RCRN/RLwC. These all in some degree improves lighting in their own way except that none of them fixes the actual striping.

You probably don't want to hear this, but what about More Dynamic shadows with stryping fixed?

I know it is not available on the nexus.

PuuLoo recently updated the mod, and claims all probems with it are solved. Would like to know if this is true. He gets some nice responses on the work as well. Since he keeps true to the vanilla lighting style, might be worth giving it a try, Dawnguard compatible as well. It is not compatible with Heartfire though, and no exteriors.

I like Enhanced Lights and FX best from the screens (and in game). Would love to be able to mix it with VELF, as VELF does exterior placement proper.

For some reason, I don't like Relighting Skyrim, but havn't tried it ingame yet. Although it is not mentioned Claralux is too bright in my opinion and adds too many lights.

I have no idea about OLSE, does it work well without ENB as well? I am not using ENB at the moment.

Becasue the problem on some of the screens is the brightnes that RS has, The inns for example, seem to be night time in both vanilla and ELFX but daytime in RS?

Would be good if the brightness goes down, as with OLSE.