Filetree issue with Texture Blenders

echosend

Question

Hello there. I'm a newer modder, but well-versed enough at this point that this issue is bewildering. 

Issue: I'm having no luck with installation following the STEP guide and modder's instructions for UNP texture blender. I'm still getting the "no game data at top level". 

I have tried: everything in the STEP guide regarding installation and filetrees, and everything in Svarog's guide on the mod's page. I think I saw at one point someone in a support forum saying "install it anyways", but I can't find and therefore verify that info. I have also watched Gopher's videos. 
I've also tried downloading it manually and installing it through "install a new mod from an archive" and I've tried it through the linked NMM download button. I've changed normalmaps and downloaded the corresponding dl file to see if the same problem cropped up. I've even peeked at a couple things on manual installation, but I'm too leery of screwing more things up. 

I think it might have to do with Skyrim being installed in the (x86) programs folder, but I honestly have no idea. Even if you don't have an answer, if there are any further resources that explain what needs to be where in each file tree, or better search terms I could use to look for more ways solve this issue, I'd really appreciate it. 

I feel a little silly for asking a question that seems so simple, but nothing has worked. 

5 answers to this question

Welcome to STEP @echosend

You will see that message appear because this install is actually NOT a mod, in the strictest sense of the term. It is in fact a tool that should be able to installed anywhere and the executed to allow it to "do its thing".

Install it with or without MO and add the executable to MO's 'Executable list' and then run it.

Welcome to STEP @echosend

You will see that message appear because this install is actually NOT a mod, in the strictest sense of the term. It is in fact a tool that should be able to installed anywhere and the executed to allow it to "do its thing".

Install it with or without MO and add the executable to MO's 'Executable list' and then run it.

Thank you, I'll try that. How to run the textgen seems pretty clear.

So the filetree setup is basically irrelevant? I was going off what I knew about installing DynDOLOD or FNIS. Those files don't need to be setup properly as long as the output is generated?

No, both FNIS and DynDOLOD must be setup properly with accurate paths as they both contain assets that are called inside the game.

That's what I mean. The UNP texture blender is unlike both both of those in that way and doesn't need the same kind of setup. Is that correct? 

Sorry about the confusion! I'm happy to be learning about proper modding; I just have a lot of catch-up to do. 

Correct. UNP Texture Blender is not a mod but rather a tool. Because of that its path has no relevance to Skyrim's assets. Think of it like you would any other tool like LOOT, xEdit or even MO. None of which need to be installed anywhere near the games they work on.