Relighting Skyrim (by NovakDalton and JawZ)

z929669

Oh yes, I am aware of the quality differences. RS really is better all around. I was talking strictly about the windows though. RLO really looks natural here, while the bulbs are pretty weird. But I guess there's no point in talking about it further when you clearly say it's not going to change.

Edited by Octopuss

No problem, JawZ. I'm wanting to check out a lot more locations and report anything strange or off that I see since it's really the only way I can help improve RS.

On the subject of accepting Relighting Skyrim for STEP, I see absolutely no reason not to. There might be a few odd lights here and there, but those can be reported and fixed along the way. This community is very good about doing those things anyway to help improve mods. The fixes and quality RS brings to Skyrim far outweighs any negatives, imo. I'm going to vote a resounding Yes for this to be included for Core as the lighting fix for STEP.

When testing, I should probably disable Lanterns of Skyrim. I have it set to only be present around cities, but the lantern in that first image I posted could be from that mod. A RS/LoS patch might be worth looking into if that is the case. I shall disable it for future testing to prevent any false reports stemming from LoS and would encourage others to do the same if testing as I am.

Regarding light sources without bulbs, isn't this a question of finding meshes that should give light (candles or other meshes that include flames)? I have no skill in Skyrim's CS, but in the morrowind CS, I would look through the objects (statics and activators especially, and obviously lights) to find such objects and then I would check each of these items for their locations in the game world. This is what I did with Morrowind and Tamriel Rebuilt to find all the agricultural crops placed throughout the game world. You would still have to look at each of them in the render window to see if a light source is attached to it, but it simplifies finding the should-be-lights. It takes a lot of effort to look through it all, but it does save time finding them as you don't need to run through the game on foot to stumble across them.

Edited by Spiffyman

Likely true, Spiffy... however, when looking at walls of text, it's still easy to accidentally skip over one. The miracle here isn't that none are missed... it's that there are so few (so far anyhow!).

I'm not a staff member, but hey, I'll throw in with Tech on this... the combination of RS with the ELE lite makes a profound and awesomly awesome impact that should be shared with the world. Like Coca-Cola, but without the artificial cancer-inducing sweetener. Also calories.

• 4 weeks later...

No release date as of yet.

When I release the next update of RS, the main file will have no area left to tweak, perhaps some exterior locations I've missed but all interiors will be fully covered, again, and without any light flickering issues.

Unless you use 6+ followers all with torches that is, but that is a game bug I can't fix. Light flickering/turning of and on when too many light bulbs are used.

After that update I will focus my attention on optimizations and implementation of the JIT script to increase performance in every interior where it would be possible and sensible to add JIT script controlled light bulbs, perhaps even some statics to increase performance even more, for better "occlusion culling".

Octopuss;

We'll see, maybe not. I'll propably have ELE - Lite updated to for instance v0.9.5b before I've updated RS to v4.1

I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on good comparions locations, both interiors and exterior ones.

I've just made a comparison Gallery for ELE - Lite with a few interior locations, are to give some info on other good locations that is fairly familiar with the every day player?

Locations that a person will know instinctively where it is, for an easier "Ah I know that place" feeling when looking at the comparison, or just a really good lcoation with awesome visuals no matter what.

I will do a RS comparison gallery as well, that's why I'm asking and also a RS Debug gallery.

Edited by JawZ

JawZ, have you seen the comparison shots published by Mangaclub? I wouldn't be surprised if he had shot more and might share them with you. Some of the shots were quite surprising, and IIRC, there were at least two screenshots that showed a missing lighting effect while using Relighting Skyrim and ELE.

Edited by thommaal

I was wondering if you guys could give me some feedback on good comparison locations, both interiors and exterior ones.

Wolfskull Ruins https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Wolfskull_Cave

( Ruins, where the ritual is taking place )

Eldergleam Sanctuary https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Eldergleam_Sanctuary

Temple Of The Divines https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Temple_of_the_Divines

Ancestor Glade https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Ancestor_Glade

Arkngthamz https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Arkngthamz

Blackreach https://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Blackreach

Edited by alt3rn1ty

thommaal;

Too messy, I prefer to have one scene per image not 10. As it allows quick and easy comparison when switching using website tabs to jump back and forth between user selected images.

And then there is no real info on what versions which have been used when those images was taken or any per image notes, which will be available from IMGUR Galleries.

But thanks for your input and the link, I think some might find it useful for their comparison.

alt3rn1ty;

Thanks a lot for the input and the uesp links to go with them.

I'll be sure to have those incorporated to the Gallery when times comes for it's publication.

I don't think having a lot of specific type of locations, i.e interior & exterior, will be necessary, just unique locations with different atmosphere is what should be a butt load of when comparing lighting.

What are unique locations?

Interiors - Blackreach, caves, dwarven dungeons, Apocrypha, Soul Cairn, Forts etc.

Exteriors - Cities, Towns, Dragon Lair's, Forts, Main quest locations etc.

A lot more variety in exteriors than interiors in my opinion that is. I only need some good suggestions for specific parts of for instance Whiterun or Riften or whatever.

Edited by JawZ