Relighting Skyrim (by NovakDalton and JawZ)

z929669

On my end with my BENQ GW2760HM VA panel which is hardware calibrated the colors are as it should.

The candles are a bit on the greenish side though, but it has been corrected for v0.9.5b. The ambient color is very close to a greyish tone but is slightly stronger in the green primary color, which is noticeable on my end.

I assign the ambient color based on the default textures and what type of light bulb is most present in the interior, among other things.

Glad to hear you are still enjoying the pre-release version of ELE-Weathers Lite alt3rn1ty :)

For those of you interested in a comparison between vanilla weathers/exterior lighting and ELE-Weathers Lite

Vanilla

16244257587_5cd0217457_o.jpg

ELE-Weather Lite

16242508938_b285035245_o.jpg

Edited by JawZ

Well it can be altered on your end quite easy. I'll whip up a step-by-step guide for you later, now though I have to go and take care of some prelimanry stuff for my new job which I'll start on monday.

Finally after 4 months of searching, I finally get a job!

• +1 1

The fog have been overhauled and is not like any other lighting mod that alters fog.

The current fog visuals will not change, unless it doesn't look like it was intended to look, do you have a screenshot of this fog you find doesn't look right?

Here is what will be added and changed in the next version Relighting Skyrim, most of the things are for the RelightingSkyrim.esp and not the DLC's as they already have it.

• - USKP edits forwarded to Relighting Skyrim files, the ones that matter
  • - Bunch of light fixes done to Relighting Skyrim none DLC part
  • - Removed custom made light bulbs and re-did affected interiors, only vanilla content now. Only applies to Relighting Skyrim none DLC part
  • - Placed proper labeled light bulbs at their corresponding light source in RelightingSkyrim.esp, light bulbs labelled Candle is only placed at candle light sources for easier tweaking of light bulb colors without affecting any other type of light source
  • - New shadow fix feature implemented
  • - Shadow feature similar to that of ELFX "Shadows under bridges" have added, optional. And no I did not steal any content from ELFX, I just implemented the same feature on my own and created the necessary content from scratch.
  • - New NMM installer, more intuitive and with more options
  • - Merged combination options similar to what is available in my Relighting Skyrim DLC's NMM installer

TechAngel85;

My changes done in RS - DLC's might not all be vanilla placed light sources and light bulbs but that is because the layout of the light bulbs induced light bulb flickering so I had to redesign the light source layout so it would lit the most important parts up but still not draw too far away from the vanilla look.

A good example, and the most visual difference would be this place. But this was a very unqiue place and the only place I had to do such drastic changes.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124462020@N06/15739337653/in/set-72157645128113144

A few non-vanilla changes here and there is to be expected with any lighting mods. RS is simply the one that stays closes to vanilla which is why it's being considered over ELFX. ELFX makes a lot (I mean a lot!) of non-vanilla changes which I discovered during my testing with the STEP Lighting Overhaul Pack. ELFX is a great solution and might be the one used in that Pack; however, RS is the right solution for the STEP Guide.

Those changes you listed above sound great! I can't wait! The ELE-Weathers is also very subtle in that shot. Will have to check that out when it's released.

@JawZ: After trying out my ENB preset on my friends computer and monitors the other week I started to notice a few things about the greens in the game. Most textures that are based on the vanilla design tend to have higher green saturation amounts, I guess there was a sort of "which came first.. the hen or the egg" moment during the design. Either the textures where very green and the image spaces where made like they are to compensate, or the other way around. 

Either way the textures are made for the desaturated style of skyrim. 

For that reason any time you adjust colors etc.... the greens become an issue and will require a bit of fiddling. 

The 2nd issue is that most monitors tend to lack in the green part of the RGB color space, even when fully calibrated. Lower quality panels .. especially TN can have a hard time to cover a large enough part of the greens. As such the green hue you got on your end will look different on another monitor. 

I had to further reduce green saturation on my ENB, as well as shift the overall color theme so it looked like on my monitor.. and even then there was also a few issues with the blues.. but it was a cheap panel and it did not look super bad... anyways long story short... the greens are always going to be an issue most likely. 

The fog have been overhauled and is not like any other lighting mod that alters fog.

The current fog visuals will not change, unless it doesn't look like it was intended to look, do you have a screenshot of this fog you find doesn't look right?

I've only found one place so far, the boss room in Bleak Falls Barrow, but I assume it's not limited to specific places and it might actually be the grey tint I saw before. I believe RLO simply removes it alltogether (which I prefer myself).

vanilla

c9bab4rscq41x446g.jpg

this is just RS

zow4igqwgtm1rs56g.jpg

this is RS with Remove Interior Fog on top of them

560ws625iige9y56g.jpg

this is RS+ELE

e6576s9f6jlp1mg6g.jpg

This is how it looks with RLO

q0ujjtt9hj8bmsf6g.jpg

full size pictures

https://www.mediafire.com/view/c9bab4rscq41x44/fog%20-%20vanilla.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/zow4igqwgtm1rs5/fog%20-%20RS.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/560ws625iige9y5/fog%20-%20RS%20removed.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/e6576s9f6jlp1mg/fog%20-%20RS%20ELE.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/q0ujjtt9hj8bmsf/fog%20-%20RLO.jpg

I very, very much prefer the clean look. I agree there probably is supposed to be a bit of a fog in a cave like this, but nowhere near as much as if smoke shell exploded there minute ago :(

Perhaps, if it wouldn't be too much work, you could offer the fogless version as an optional component for ELE?

Edited by Octopuss

^^ No Vanilla comparison ? ( or rather Vanilla with ENB in your case )

Personally I like the RS + ELE look ( which is similar to ELE Full ) we have grown accustomed to seeing with this mod combination.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

Is it ok to keep posting pictures of places where I think the lighting is off? Shut me down if not.

I looked in Dragonsreach. It looks pretty good with RS, but obviously there's way too much light. I added ELE, and... that doesn't look right. I guess the reason everything is orange is the fire, but it still looks super weird.

ajhdajs2rnozb056g.jpg

bhu6o78y2lrxg4s6g.jpg

P.S.

Dragonsreach - just RS

Dragonsreach - RS and the "fog removal" mod

Please get rid of the fog at the very least in buildings :(

Edited by Octopuss

TechAngel85;

It would be pointless otherwise, restricting one self to pure vanilla visuals that is. It's what I and NovakDalton has strived for all this time.

Think ELEP - FVC performance preset but without the use of ENBSeries, that is more or less how it ended up. I've made a lot more changes to further increase the visuals and the ease of adjustment even with post-process tools like SweetFX and/or ReShade.

Aiyen;

I personally have tested and I am testing it on 1 TN Samsung screen, 1 AMVA BENQ screen, 1 AG Neovo screen and a Samsung TV. They all are within reason similar to my "developer screen" which is currently the BENQ screen which I regularly calibrate to make sure it stays within a as close proximity to the ISO standards, as well as having a living environment that follows the ISO standard of illumination. But I also test on my brothers setup or even my parents PC's which has no calibration or in my borthers case ****ed up screen visuals to "improve" Counter-Strike gameplay, his words not mine.

These variations are small and on some they are stronger, no way around this I know that. But I won't incorporate some weird approach on standardizing my visuals to any other but what I can see on my end on all of the above mentioned screens.

If anything other users should strive to follow my approach, as it is following an ISO standard.

There are easy ways to manipulate colors, SweetFX is one of them, ENBSeries is both an easier and more precise way but the best way is to go inside Creation Kit and alter RGB tint per Lighting Template.

In summation, no way for me to take into account all the variations to make it look good on everyones screen.

Octopuss;

Here is the default look of ELE-Lite

17177572022_303c5ed5e5_o.jpg

And here is the FX effects removed

16991680640_e79cf412a7_o.jpg

And finally here is the image with Fog removed and FX effects removed.

16971793617_a8146e9b91_o.jpg

I won't remove or alter the current fog visuals, they are they way I want them to be. I have a way for end users to easily change this with a click or two of the left mouse button, using TES5EDIT and one of my pascal/TES5EDIT scripts. Resulting in totally removed fog.

And in the Dragonsreach image with ELE, there is no fog present at all.

I don't mind the comparison posts. I think it's good to have them here as it will allow insight on the visual changes RS and ELE is introducing.

If I can remove the fog simply and reliably, it's perfectly fine (actually, an option to lower it by like 50% for dungeons and remove it for buildings would be sweet). Just the fog though, I like the effects!

What about the colour tone in central Dragonsreach though?

Another thing. I see light from windows is done completely differently in RS than in RLO. In RLO, I am used to see a... pillar? of light coming through the window, which looks fairly natural. With RS, there's a weird light sphere around the window, which creates a bit weird effect. The light just stops about half a metre from the window. That all might still work, but... have you tried looking directly at the window? Now that's a problem: no light is actually coming out of it. It's coming from the sphere around the actual window, which looks pretty unrealistic. I know realism is not the goal of the mod, so shall we settle for "weird"? :P

I understand there can (and are) major design differences between different authors, but...

7y1ip9sljzognzp6g.jpg

ghfk9kb21ni19kx6g.jpg

rmabwdullw973d66g.jpg

zuk6lyusw86azlo6g.jpg

It's interesting how dramatically different textures look in different lighting. If it was someone elses screenshots, I'd swear different Solitude textures were used.

full size

https://www.mediafire.com/view/7y1ip9sljzognzp/Bits_Pieces_1_RLO.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/ghfk9kb21ni19kx/Bits%20pieces%201%20RS%20ELE.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/rmabwdullw973d6/Bits%20Pieces%202%20RLO.jpg

https://www.mediafire.com/view/zuk6lyusw86azlo/Bits%20pieces%202%20RS%20ELE.jpg

But still, the more I dig into it, the more I like it. There are things I either don't like or that will take me time getting used to. but I am most probably going to switch over pretty soon.

Edited by Octopuss

It's interesting how dramatically different textures look in different lighting. If it was someone elses screenshots, I'd swear different Solitude textures were used.

Assuming vanilla textures - Go have a look at the Ratway tunnels walls textures under riften with RS and ELE installed, and compare with what you are used to. They look a bit less glossy and more moist to me, closer to what I imagine such a place to look like. The distant fog down there has been changed slightly too for the better.

With my setup I get a look that is slightly brighter than JawZ Default look, but thats down to my old laptop screen and trying to get the best out of calibrating it for my eyesight for everything I need to use the laptop for ..

uv8b8aQ.jpg

( Not using ENB )

Edit : PS I used to love RLO too. Much prefer the atmos everywhere with RS and ELE instead.

Edited by alt3rn1ty

@jawz... you got too many monitors, and too much time to look at them! :p 

Anyways jest aside. It was just since issues with green tints was mentioned. For some users this is going to be inevitable. Not everyone cares that much about color accuracy! 

There was not really any suggestion that you should make any changes because of it... I like ELE the way it is done right now. Looks good without additional processing, and epic with it! :)