Relighting Skyrim (by NovakDalton and JawZ)

z929669

I'd like to advocate Relighting Skyrim to be included in STEP:Core. For that to happen, there has to be compares so I've taken shots from 17 different but well known locations around Skyrim to showcase the changes the mod makes. I've also included shots with ELE-Lite present with Relighting Skyrim so show what ELE does. For those that are wondering why ELFX isn't part of this compare is because it adds/moves/removes far too many effects and light sources to be considered for the main STEP Guide. With that said, I do have those compares and will be posting them elsewhere at a later time. So on to the compares!

1) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
jQAGeUREfBqhQ3i6ExivUCwEMgUL1wH4ap1jFcX3WYU8bCwk

2) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
tTWsFU7p8CMdZBugRSipHDujduoIg898fvJzonHJEP9CitdP

3) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
1sv3J7vUCGALj8J60XGR2h3lI7LAV1e3RAvpGNpbqfriblNm

4) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
uuBQ3JM9wG8YzjdUWvIfL8jclrf2rJTXr9NTOnz07vMVuSav

5) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
qyYsSeDbYcwetrWBb3XmHlz6AxcC2Eb9HKzSyrf3cPDRsnoF

6) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
8OECEwLQ0JvVqSDb9VJQlD9SVzH176OQToIgSVRIkEP41bwY

7) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
QnvwIg3Z0P6bPzi0imNZaVNiSvRBprwNVBCLuFhD3EAzyA9u

8) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
rrKAgW4zv8iuIiCaZNwk6AvgBjFqbvhRvaFnInAB4dWoheqb

9) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
kglapclUTSsWp4YWUvRJt3C1e2vTH7YuJym6VKPxLtOGceBJ

10) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
0Yg9xz2WlpKhVpuFczBH0pDP9IiEaAOkjvEQ9B341ZtjlWOy

11) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
KU7cViAacgCHLSCcbxuIJR6z2SpfKo6sMZddxHLT9XUFRbff

12) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
ZTHsQDLA4fOYOCAAoRo2Y9egKideHSrS8ioRPl3IREUfMPQK

13) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
je8VNWmNqsWAiH8BRONRu8hJ8LJlEehxVGWcWbbEtjEzD29a

14) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
RgiPlC4Ha9P1JU00gEWbUYeXC7c0QsgiuV1AxTm78hSJIBz6

15) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
rDK6PRZ6NAo8RfknmQ0iLcrEy6HV6txatQjFNlc2QonYVgjn

16) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
smr4T7C79agmaG3gvDGQMfcE7NvcFqAVREqkHabO9RhniCEP

17) STEP >> Relighting Skyrim >> Relighting Skyrim + ELE-Lite
voXDPBhSdovvHC3QyLALW0tMSI1tzktu0mnX3FJwKs0ENssz

Doesn't ELE require an ENB to work?

ELE can run just fine without ENBSeries. It "normalizes" lightbulbs and adds some other tweaks. This is great for ENB authors because it fixes many lighting issues which provides a more consistent "feel" for ENBs. Before, ENB authors would have to struggle to find a balance because one tweak would make one area look great but that same tweak might make another area look "off". ELE greatly reduces that issue for authors while providing some other tweaks as well. For non-ENB users, ELE has the same effect in the vanilla lighting. This is most apparent in shots 6 and 16 above as the lighting and color is normalized to a natural lighting in both color and intensity. With ELE we also get the added advantage of the spell and torch lighting getting the same fixes.

Just out of curiosity I had a look at this mod, firstly I read through some of the posts and the ones that grabbed my eye were about potential conflicts with the Unofficial patches.

Do you imagine those can be simply picked up by the bashed patch?

Quite a few different types of records are losing out when Relighting is active, too many to list here, What's more I'm not 100% sure if they are all actually conflicts. Obviously the <Placed Objects> will be on purpose, but there are also  changes to <World Spaces> that mean nothing to me but might be important.

the color of ELE looks way off without ENB, especially 15.

ELE strays away from the "illuminate the entire room" thing that skyrim does. (6, 7, 10, 17"

RS Lighting is still seems like the best "fix" for skyrim, in my own opinion, of course.

the color of ELE looks way off without ENB, especially 15.

ELE strays away from the "illuminate the entire room" thing that skyrim does. (6, 7, 10, 17"

RS Lighting is still seems like the best "fix" for skyrim, in my own opinion, of course.

You might be interested to know that ELFX also changes those windows and that lighting in 15 and 16 to that whiter color that is more balanced without ELE.

STEP   >>   Relighting Skyrim  >>  Relighting Skyrim+ELE  >>  ELFX  >>  ELFX+ELE

rDK6PRZ6NAo8RfknmQ0iLcrEy6HV6txatQjFNlc2QonYVgjnEUEX6uxN667oKe6lVbPgNq2wzCGdkzwK

STEP   >>   Relighting Skyrim  >>  Relighting Skyrim+ELE  >>  ELFX  >>  ELFX+ELE

smr4T7C79agmaG3gvDGQMfcE7NvcFqAVREqkHabO9RhniCEPTpQWQv8rpN7vZWzNTyQkBnrbMINqlaaV

From the compares and from my own testing, I'd recommend this mod for Core. As for ELE, I'd have to test it. I like some of what it has done, but seeing it in-game is the ultimate determiner.

And ELE looks somewhat painful to install....

Ah! Much nicer. Google led me to the enb forum thread that looked a little daunting. Do we have a thread for the ELE Lite mod?

Nvm. Found it. Added just the testing tag to it, because I somehow doubt we'll be able to test it before release.

Going by the compares (not looking at it in-game), I'm not sure if I like some of the lighting color changes that ELE makes.  In a lot of the pics provided here, it looks like ELE adds too much blue color to light sources, which seemed to make light emitted from fire look like bright white light.  Very unnatural for the type of light source.  It should be more reddish (or "warm").  I didn't like the "cool" color to the lighting with ELE...  But like I said, I'm basing this off of the compares.  The last time I had ELE was installed was the last time I tried an ENB, which was a long time ago.  I never tried it without one, mainly because I was under the assumption that it was designed to used with ENB.  So I can't give my opinion of what it looks like in-game... but would the light color be that much different from the screenshot?