Skyrim SE. How do I lower texture quality? Editing .ini files doesn't work.

cepirablo

Question

I start up SSE and get something around 10 FPS.(not a strong machine, and no I won't get an upgrade.)

A texture quality option for SSE is nowhere to be seen, so I end up on the STEP Skyrim Configuration Settings page.

Tried editing iTexMipMapSkip under [imagespace] in both SkyrimPrefs.ini, low.ini, medium.ini, high.ini, ultra.ini(eventually every single Skyrim related .ini I could find, including Skyrim.ini) to 1, 2, 3, even 30 and nothing makes a change.

Setting Detail to Low from the launcher boosted the FPS a lot but only by turning down all the other settings. Texture doesn't receive the slightest change.

Pretty pissed that they didn't include the most basic graphics option available.

How do I lower texture quality?

5 answers to this question

Turning down the effects is going to give you better results than just lowering the texture resolution. Lower texture quality is not an option that newer games typically have anymore because of the advancements in technology. My suggestion would be to run BethINI. It has presets included which are better rounded out than the vanilla presets. The newer effects like godrays are going to kill performance so you'll likely have to turn them off.

In Oldrim, I got about 10 difference in fps between Low, Medium, and High, with an average 30 fps with medium. I just thought the impact would be higher with the all-new-more-hi-res-than-anything-before textures.

Turning down the effects works without taking much away from the game, so I'm happy now.