Sign in to follow this  
Rebel47

Nifskope Woes

Question

So I have been trying for almost a week now to change the hairstyle of the custom follower mod Recorder, I've even followed the guide found [urhttps://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/61348/?tab=2&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmodfiles%2F%3Fid%3D61348&pUp=1]here[/url] under miscellaneous for doing so which has worked for others yet every time I attempt it and get it working right in Nifskope and in the CK when in game Recorder always has a dark face, I am at a loss here and was hoping that someone would have some insight that I clearly lack.

I have made sure that all textures are pointing to the correct place in Nifskope too so I can't see if being a problem, but if you have any ideas I would love to hear (read) them

13 answers to this question

Just an update to let you know I managed to fix this issue, I was making one very simple mistake, using higher resolution tint mods and trying to export them in CK so removing the tintmask folder while I exported allowed me to circumvent the problem and have a perfect outcome.

Dark face usually means you're missing the facegen data. When you save it in the CK, there should also be some facegen data that comes with it.

When I start it I export the head and eyes as obj forms in Nifskope and then change the hairstyle making sure the paths stay exactly the same, I do the ctrl + F4 export in Creation Kit and then load it all back up in Nifskope and import the 2 obj files from earlier, but in doing that I always get the black face, I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing but I can't figure out what it is.

I'd have to go through the process to see what is going on. The only thing I know that causes the dark faces is missing facegen textures.

Hmm well the textures stay in the same folder under the same path and I re-link them back to the mesh in Nifskope, after exporting facegen/facetint in CK so unless I'm doing that in the reverse order I'm at a loss.

Have you updated tangent spaces? It should be under "Spells" at the top of Nifskope. Probably not that, but a picture would be nice to guage how dark and to make sure it's Facegen. I have no experience with Facegen as my characters could look like a potato for all I care.  ::D:

I tried updating the tangent spaces but it didn't seem to have any affect, I finally got a picture of the problem I'm facing which can be seen here, please ignore the obnoxious hair color, it will be changed when I can do so without getting the face discoloration.

Hopefully this will make it easier to diagnose the problem and maybe I can finally get to resolving the issue, thanks.

Edited by Rebel47

Yeah, that doesn't look like missing facegen. That looks like something else...like lighting isn't affecting the textures. You didn't change any flags on the mesh did you?

The only thing I did was point the textures to the correct mesh again, they were the mouth, head, hair and hairline.

Unless it was when I changed the texture paths on the hair and hairline nifs.

Are the normal maps tangent or model space? Tangent are the purple ones and model are the rainbow-looking ones. If you repointed them to tangent and they are flagged as model space in    BSLightingShaderProperty -- under one of the shader flag drop-downs -- it won't work correctly. You'll need to untick it if they are tangent. Again, totally unfamiliar with this character process myself.

All normal maps are tangent, with the exception of the body which is Model Normal Space and all correct tags are applied in Nifskope, I have done things like this before and never had any issues it is only with this one custom companion that this problem even occurs and I cannot fathom out why that would be.

Edited by Rebel47