2.2.0a is outdated and I can no longer follow it properly. How should I adapt?

Ggfd3FzZuyabrmSsmjun

Question

So I was trying to install STEP 2.2.0a but realized that some of the things on it are now incompatible and outdated. 

Step 2.2.0a is meant for skyrim 1.7.7 if I'm not mistaken.  Near the top of the list of the mods to install is the unofficial skyrim/dawnguard patch, but those patches have been updated to only run on "1.8.151.0.7+".  I wasn't able to find any version of the unofficial patch to install on my 1.7.7 skyrim. 

Earlier in the guide it mentions that each version of step is meant to be run on a specific version of skyrim so I assumed I am not supposed to just update to 1.8.xxxxxx and slap all the same mods on.

Now I noticed there is a work in progress 2.2.1 that is all up to date but it is warned not to use it unless I know what I am doing and clearly I do not.

So my question is, how the hell do I install STEP at this current time? What is the proper way to go about it?

Thanks for any input in advance.

-Matt

Edit: TL;DR Solution for anyone else with the same problems/questions. Fully update your skyrim and follow the 2.2.0a STEP as closely as you can.

Edit: Maybe not. Read the thread lulz. It could be beneficial to install 2.2.1 in it's incomplete form. There is no TL;DR

He implied that he had already downloaded the mods in his previous install some time ago :whistling:

Given that, my advice is very realistic and definitely best practice ....

No, I've never installed STEP before. I tried and failed because of all the discrepancies between updates and different versions. 

If it were possible to use everything that was used back when the guide was released this would be easy, but mods and game versions have updated since and old versions are not available.

This is why there is a problem because now I am left with bits and pieces of mods that are no longer relevant or are broken due to game updates.

While we haven't completed testing, you could also follow the list that is in 2.2.1. Just know that the listing and instructions are bound to change slightly for some mods.
Well that is sort of what I was wondering if it is in a stage where it is reliable enough to enjoy and be playable, or if it is just riddled with bugs

*edit: I'm trying to weigh out between the 2 options since trying to follow the old guide will probably run across a handful of bugs as well. Which would you think is more problem free?

I haven't done any extensive testing yet (finishing downloading the 2.2.1 list myself), but I believe it to be reasonable (some mods were also removed that were in 2.2.0a). There is also still some work going on in determining specific texture mods, so there will definitely be changes there, but those are aesthetics.

Hopefully someone can chime in that has been running the 2.2.1 list and provide some more concrete feedback beyond my gut feeling. :P

:ninja: tech

Don't ninja look at me! I have most of the mods downloaded but have been waiting for the mod list to become more stable before installing. Plus I've been testing individual mods a lot since I've reverted back to vanilla but I'll be installing soon (next couple of days).

:ninja: Z

Well that is sort of what I was wondering if it is in a stage where it is reliable enough to enjoy and be playable, or if it is just riddled with bugs

*edit: I'm trying to weigh out between the 2 options since trying to follow the old guide will probably run across a handful of bugs as well. Which would you think is more problem free?

Several have installed 2.2.1 without any or very few issues. Our admin, Z, currently was a complete install I think as well. There is most likely going to be some changes here and there, but we're pushing to get it into the testing phase right now. If you decide to use 2.2.1, please post any issues you many encounter, with as much detail as possible, in the 2.2.1 changelog thread.
I just want to add that if you use WB then it'll be very easy to update everything when v2.2.1 is actually released.

Several have installed 2.2.1 without any or very few issues. Our admin, Z, currently was a complete install I think as well. There is most likely going to be some changes here and there, but we're pushing to get it into the testing phase right now. If you decide to use 2.2.1, please post any issues you many encounter, with as much detail as possible, in the 2.2.1 changelog thread.
I just want to add that if you use WB then it'll be very easy to update everything when v2.2.1 is actually released.
Yeah I was actually trying not to use it the first time around, but I'm starting to see the usefulness of it.

I just hate clutter so I was avoiding anything not 100% needed.

I think what I will do is as stated above, install 2.2.1 and use WB to modify things as the wiki is updated.

Yeah I was actually trying not to use it the first time around, but I'm starting to see the usefulness of it.

I just hate clutter so I was avoiding anything not 100% needed.

I think what I will do is as stated above, install 2.2.1 and use WB to modify things as the wiki is updated.

I was the same way when I first started using STEP. I started out with manual installation, moved to Nexus Mod Manager, and finally ended up using Wrye Bash because of the recommendations of these guys. I couldn't imagine modding without it now.

The reason I thought It might be important is just the period it time STEP was last updated. By the looks of the changelog a lot of the mods are obsolete/broken at this point because not only has the game updated but all the mods I'm being asked to apply are no longer the same mods they were back in september when 2.2.0 was released because they are all updated and different now as well.

Also some of the mods ARE version dependent and either should/shouldn't be run with a newer version of skyrim, no?

Does anyone know the status on 2.2.1? Is it very closely nearing release? If it will be released soonish I will gladly just wait for the smoothest experience but if it will be a while I can try and tinker with 2.2.0a.

It is true that some mods will be version specific (bug fix, new feature, etc.). The version specific information (I did not make clear) is related to the mods themselves. Since mods do get updated, following any version of STEP assumes you are on the latest version of Skyrim. That is why Skyrim version is important in our testing, primarily because we will always test against the latest version, and never previous ones. We also don't specifically call out the versions of mods that are used in the guide (unless a specific version has to be used for whatever reason).

So I guess the point is, if your Skyrim is not at the latest version, you could stumble across problems with mods regardless of which version of STEP you follow. There will be cases where certain mods won't work anymore, but they should be very few.

As for a release date for STEP 2.2.1, we don't have one yet. Still some work to do on our end.

Ok thank you very much. I will go ahead and fully update and follow the 2.2.0a guide as closely as I can then. 

I'm excited as all hell to try this out! haha

It is best to use the older versions of all mods you have still from 2.2.0. Forcing updates will only increase the chances of a problem. Update only the fixes and the interface mods, and try to leave the rest alone if possible.
That's not realistic, as a lot of mods don't have the older versions available. In some cases, that could cause more problems.

STEP doesn't tie mod versions, nor should it. The important aspect is Skyrim version, and updating mods will be important in keeping things happy.

He implied that he had already downloaded the mods in his previous install some time ago :whistling:

Given that, my advice is very realistic and definitely best practice ....

.... and that patches and other things are not compatible with his older version of Skyrim. An updated Skyrim is going to be key, and thus updated mods as well. :whistling:
This is true ... so one simply keeps the texture-only mods (and perhaps a few others). This would constitute more than half of the mods and most all of the textures.

In fact, this is the best advice for anyone using a defunct version of the Guide.