Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti

Neovalen

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$699 makes it look sexier. Anyone want lightly used 980ti? Just kidding! My PC build is in a tiny mITX case (EVGA Hadron) which can take full size graphic card, but can not be too long (280mm).

it is tempting someone needs to persuade my lovely wife to let me buy one now lol.

Yeah, I may have to sell my 980... provided my wife doesn't want it. If she does I may have to buy Ryzen and basically give her the whole PC. She is a bit out of date.

• 4 weeks later...

I would love to upgrade. Still on a single 780/980M (depending on if I'm using desktop or laptop). Been trying to save for a nice monitor. For a while there was talk that they'd scrapped the 1080Ti since I know EVGA's new 1080 cooler was from the 1080Ti which they said they'd canceled, I can't remember where I read that though.

I landed a pretty decent job(currently working crazy hours with plenty of overtime) and after hearing about the 144hz 4k HDR monitors, Ill probably be looking at getting that and two cards if things work out.
I'll probably sell my 980 ti sometime in the next month or so. 

I am looking at the EVGA FTW3, but I really like how the fans stop spinning on my current card, the thing is clean like I just pulled it out of the box.

I landed a pretty decent job(currently working crazy hours with plenty of overtime) and after hearing about the 144hz 4k HDR monitors, Ill probably be looking at getting that and two cards if things work out.

I'll probably sell my 980 ti sometime in the next month or so.

I am looking at the EVGA FTW3, but I really like how the fans stop spinning on my current card, the thing is clean like I just pulled it out of the box.

Very cool, glad things are going well Hishy. I may upgrade my monitor eventually but for now I'm sticking with my 1600p 60hz. My single 980 is really showing its age already so this will be a nice upgrade.

I thought about waiting for the FTW3 but release is a long way off yet, thinking about going with the ASUS Strix that should be out in a day or two. After my last experience with SLI I am sticking with 1 card for the forseeable future.

It is pretty much guaranteed to chew up anything modded Skyrim SSE can throw at it once SKSE64 comes out.

My 1060 chews up SSE (though I play at 1080p). I don't think the fans even turn on with that game. If they do, it's so low I can't hear them. XCOM 2 seems to be able to push it harder than SSE.

My 1060 chews up SSE (though I play at 1080p). I don't think the fans even turn on with that game. If they do, it's so low I can't hear them. XCOM 2 seems to be able to push it harder than SSE.

I'm sure once I load up Skyrim SE with 3d trees, 4k textures, etc. It will be more of a challenge. That being said, with base Skyrim it was always ENB eating the fps which doesn't happen as much in SE since it's features are built into the engine.

I'm looking forward to pushing every limit I can... 11GB of VRAM goes a long way. [emoji1]

No native async compute, no FP 16 double throughput. This is again a pricey card that needs to be replaced fast. At 700$, this is extreme enthusiast only :/

If you are willing to pay that much money on a GPU, I'd rather get the Titan and grab the FP16 performance too.

No native async compute, no FP 16 double throughput. This is again a pricey card that needs to be replaced fast. At 700$, this is extreme enthusiast only :/

If you are willing to pay that much money on a GPU, I'd rather get the Titan and grab the FP16 performance too.

I'm going to disagree, you are not going to see that much difference unless your doing deep learning or other specialized operations with your card. 500 extra dollars for the FP16 compute performance + a small performance increase is ridiculous unless that is what you do in your spare time, are a business, or just want to show off. Quite simply the 1080 Ti is the best gaming card you can get this generation without going "Boutique".

Base GTX 1080: $500

Base GTX 1080Ti: $700 (+35% performance over non-Ti)

Base Titan Xp (Latest): $1200 (+5-10% performance over Ti)

Generally speaking, the Ti series of cards is equivalent to the next generation of cards initial release and thus hold value fairly well for a high end card anyway. Volta, the next generation, is not expected until next year... so aside from the new Titan this is pretty much going to be the best card for a user needing the gaming horsepower for the next 8-12 months at least. This is especially true if your not running a 4K display and are on something like 1600p.

Neo are you planning on upgrading your mobo, CPU and RAM? Faster DDR4 RAM will actually give you a performance boost. Here is an old-ish comparison: 

I mean... that is more than +10fps going from 21333mhz to 3000mhz on W3. If you are spending $700 on that GPU, you need to go all out!