"Failed to write settings" every time I close Mod Organizer after playing Fallout 4

shah138

Question

I've completely uninstalled Fallout 4 and ModOrganizer and reinstalled them and this message keeps showing up.  I've used the program with Skyrim and FO4 months ago and this issue wasn't there.  The error specifically reads "An error occured trying to update MO settings to [directory]/Appdata/Local/ModOrganizer/Fallout 4/ModoRganizer.ini: The specified path is invalid. (errorcode 161)".  How can I fix this issue?

12 answers to this question

I have the same issue with 2.0.8.2b which is why I switched back to 2.0.8.1b as it doesn't have this error. Related to this (I think) is another issue that when starting up MO 2 after this message parts of my loadorder and priority list aren't checked, which was also not present in 2.0.8.1b.

Edited by El_Rizzo
  • +1 1

I've been having this issue since 2.0.8.1, though only if i try to run more than one executable.  I get exactly one error free use of ANYTHING through MO2 (LOOT, Fallout4.exe, FO4Edit) but if i close that program and try to run it again, I get a cascade of errors, whining about ModOrganizer.ini not saving settings (which doesn't exist in the location it's searching for).

If I just close MO2 after running a program, and reload it, the problem doesn't come up.  

Edited by Barachiel

I'm having this same issue on 2.0.8.2.  Windows 10, FO4.  I haven't seen any actual impact on my ability to manage the game though.  I just have to shut down MO2 after every game exit, and go through 3-4 error alerts.

I know you've published a new version since the last post on this thread but, not knowing if this was addressed, I figured the info couldn't hurt.

I run 2.0.8.2 and have this issue with FO4 (win7) but is accompanied with a insufficient system resources error. Happens after running the game, however running wrye/fo4edit doesn't cause this issue (those apps do crash on exit however which appears to have no negative affect) EDIT: Actually now I notice that the UFS mounting system fails a few times when launching the game, nasty issue.

I can still run the game and all, just a matter of restarting MO2 each time. I also noticed that SkyrimSE doesn't appear to have this severe of a issue.

Edited by theriddick

Tested with 8.3 and same issue, in fact I don't believe my game is stable with many mods in it as the virtual filesystem appears to fail easily. Shrug, rip fo4...

Despite an earlier statement I made to the contrary, my game has become unplayably unstable and I'll be starting over.  I'll probably be using the version of MO2 abandoned by Tannin, which has its own barrel of issues, but that may be my only path forward with MO2 and FO4.