Mod Organizer 2 Development Status

LePresidente

Question

Hi, Just thought i would place this here kinda to give feedback on what the current status is and Items that I simply don't have the skills to fix.

Latest Release:

2.0.8.3b - https://github.com/LePresidente/modorganizer/releases/tag/v2.0.8.3b

Items Requiring a C++ Developer (Things I can't fix):

These fixed themselves (Shrugs)

Profiles:

Custom profile locations are  currently not supported, Please either use portable or the %appdata% locations for now, I'm planning on adding a new option when creating the profiles called "Custom Location" that will create everything in the location and setup all the internal settings correctly.

Games Supported:

Currently due to time restraints I will be looking at only fixing the SkyrimSE and fallout4 bugs, Please use MO1 for the others if MO2 has issues with those games.

*Note on the silence up till now*

Sorry for the long delay there was work happening in the background, And I kinda went into radio silence since a few of us were stumped by the memory issues, Should be a Test release here soon as well once we are sure it will work as expected. I was against making any claims until now due to that people were comparing my "quick fixes" to Tannins work as a whole which is not fair to tannin's great contributions or myself for just getting things compiling in general. So I have waited for some sort of testing to take place and the project to get some momentum. 

Fixes coming in 2.1.0

1. Building with VS2015 and QT5.9.1
  2. All memory bugs have gone by magic (I'm serious no idea how, Using Qt's Binary install has helped)
  3. ESL support has been done by Helidoc and Silarn [WIP
  4. Tutorials are back and working and updated (Thanks to Silarn)
  5. Few null exceptions are caught now, So no more hard crashes due to firewall/network issues
  6. sort button uses the new loot api that supports esl
  7. A few SkyrimSE/Fallout4 fixes (e.g fallout4 mods don't deselect anymore after running loot)
  8. Local profiles and saves are working, Though tester has notified us disabling local profiles doesn't work so still [WIP]

Issues in 2.1.0

No issues in latest test build

You can find the test builds on discord in the testers channel.

No wix installer yet though I have been slacking

**** Updates to come ****

Edited by LePresidente
  • +1 7

I'm not the programmer, but I'm pretty sure those files are used to update the plugins during installation.

lol, yeah. They are. They seem to be used to download all that is needed outside of what is packaged. I just wasn't sure at first but I found out that Tannin's installer included the same files. No harm in being cautious tho!

• +1 1

I'm using this on Win10 for my FO4 game, and I know that Win10 is known to have issues.  I've certainly encountered a few, but not enough to make this game worth playing without MO2.  Do you want bug reports on this platform, or am I just going to have to learn to live with occasional bugs on this platform?

Does it make a difference if we use BSAs vs Loose Files when using MO2 with Skyrim SE, If it does not matter does one perform better than the other for MO2 (yes I know all about the bsa vs. loose files discussion for MO1). I thought I also noticed that MO2 can now unpack BSAs, is that a feature of 2.0.3b (hope I got the version number right since I am at work right now) or do we need to check the BETA box in the MO settings

Does it make a difference if we use BSAs vs Loose Files when using MO2 with Skyrim SE, If it does not matter does one perform better than the other for MO2 (yes I know all about the bsa vs. loose files discussion for MO1).

Loose files have priority over BSA files so loose files will win conflicts regardless of which Bethesda game, so it makes a difference in the sense that any mod using BSAs that has conflicting files with a mod using loose files will lose the conflict as MO2 doesn't have BSA management like MO1 which essentially treated BSA files as loose files which made it possible to make them the conflict winner by moving them lower in the priority list. As for performance, I at least, have read contradicting statements about BSA/BA2 files decreasing loadtimes whereas others say that about loose files. Since loose files don't need to be extracted before access it seems more logical to me that loose files are faster to load as the CPU consuming process of extraction is skipped. The only downtime of loose files is the increased on disk size of the files and that it is easier to mess them up.

I thought I also noticed that MO2 can now unpack BSAs, is that a feature of 2.0.3b (hope I got the version number right since I am at work right now) or do we need to check the BETA box in the MO settings

BSA extraction was a plugin even for MO1 and various external tools are also available for that purpose so I don't think it was introduced in 2.0.3b and you just needed to activate the specific plugin, at least the changelog didn't state anything about this being a newly added feature iirc.

Edited by El_Rizzo

I'm still using an older version of MO2 back when Tannin was actively working on it. At least for FO4...so I've been lurking on this one.   If there are features that are needed any chance we could get some coders together and set up a bounty system to keep development moving forward?

Sigh I'm gonna try find time for this again, Life has been rather busy and my home hardware ( 2 CPU cores are iffy)  is acting up so doing dev builds is rather time consuming

Currently the drive is to get this to work with the latest compilers eg MSVC2015/2017 and the latest QT, but its a bit of a pain when you stop start the whole time. 

Edited by LePresidente

Sigh I'm gonna try find time for this again, Life has been rather busy and my home hardware ( 2 CPU cores are iffy)  is acting up so doing dev builds is rather time consuming

Currently the drive is to get this to work with the latest compilers eg MSVC2015/2017 and the latest QT, but its a bit of a pain when you stop start the whole time. 

You only have a dual core CPU chugging along?  This is a bit off topic but I found an article recently called Building a 40-Thread Xeon Monster PC and it gave me the idea to pick up a couple Xeon E5-2696 v2 ES chips and work on a 48 thread xeon system for uh....fiddling around with. :)  Essentially if you want to do a lot of development on the cheap look for something like the Intel Xeon E5-2670 2.6 Ghz. 8-Core which runs around $90.  If you need info or links let me know and I can shoot you some threads and locations to look at.

If it is something you don't have time to commit to...I get that. :)  Has to be a passion, has to be fun and you have to have the time to fiddle with it.

I suspect he always doesn't have any money either otherwise he probably would have went out and bought a new box.  I could be wrong, however if you don't have time AND money then these sort of projects become impossible to do...

Edited by theriddick
  • +1 1