Please, HEELP! (Newbie in modding)

lupus_hegemonia

Question

First of all, here is my system:

Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM: 16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 799MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard: ASRock H97M Anniversary (CPUSocket)
Monitor: DELL U2515H
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForsce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming
Storage: 111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SSD) - 525GB Crucial MX300 (SSD) - 931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB10C (SATA)
Optical Drives: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224FB
Audio: Razer Surround Audio Controller

So, I've tried a bit some mods (70+ !), I've tried another's fellow personal set ("Skyrim TMP Project", you can find it in YouTube)...This is fantastic (visually) but extreme heavy (over 400+ mods, which I surely don't need most of them, while the gameplay is worst)...

Thus, I said to try the "STEP". I following "STEP" guide step-by-step like a Bible; the process suppose to be 20+ hrs and I'm over... 4 days now, that much slow process from me, to be extra careful. So, I have these (following) to report and got some help from you guys:

1) In many cases, the "STEP" guide says "Install only this file, don't need the rest". I'm pressing the "STEP" guide link, I'm moving to Nexus, I'm pressing the "green button", the downloading process starts, I'm double clicking on the mod (in MO, which I don't know it well and I think is for more advanced users than NMM)... and the mod starts automatically to install... everything... all... some... I don't know, I don't have access to chose. (Some mods, indeed they have a pop-up menu and I'm choosing the "STEP" suggestions)

2) I never did anything manual. I'm letting MO & LOOT to handle everything. But, even so, I have in some (quite some!) mods a "lighting bolt" next to it, meaning that I have "Overwriting Files" conflicts from one (or more) mod(s) to other(s)... So, how am I suppose to fix that? Wouldn't MO & LOOT correcting them automatically, since we're using the tools to load the mods list correctly?

3) In some cases, I'm pressing the "green button" and getting the (supposed) updated version, I'm installing it... and MO says I'm using a previous one! Why's that??? And how am I suppose to update the mods? I can't see anything to press and do it. (In one case/mod, the MO said I have a... newest version than in Nexus - which I took the mod from there!!!!)

Check my screen from MO, to see what I have so far (and my "flags") and PLEEEEASE give me a hand:

mo_1.jpg
Edited by lupus_hegemonia

In STEP, for Skyrim Total Enhancement mod, they're saying to download one of the optional files; which I did.

But, after I did, I discovered that is an old version (1.2) - and in mod's page there the new one (2.2.9.2). Fine... but since I CHOOSE one option file (the "Performance" one), how am I suppose to know which update to pick??? There isn't any choice in the new update, there isn't a "Performance" Option file update.

And how am I upgrading? Simply pressing again (from Nexus) the "green button"? And if the mod has THE SAME name with the old version? What am I doing, then?

If you have to install a mod with options there's a couple of ways of going about it. All are equally as valid.

1) Download and install the main mod file. Every option you install from the same mod page will then give you the option to MERGE it into the originally installed Mod, or to RENAME it.

2) Choose either option. If you MERGE it all into one, the version you'll see in MO will be the version of the MAIN mod. If you RENAME it, You can change the name to reflect that it's an optional file for the main mod.you can do something like this:

* Main Mod File Name

* Main Mod File Name- Optional 1

* Main Mod File Name - Optional 2

Both ways are equally as valid.

Merging everything into one gives a cleaner and neater Left Hand Pane in MO. Renaming every optional gives you the change at a nutshell to see what's installed.

Regards the other question about using MO for the original Skyrim and NMM for Skyrim Special Edition, yes you can do that and it's fine. I hate NMM with a passion and have determined to never use it. Hence I'm not modding Skyrim Special Edition until the guy who developed MO in the first place, and who is now working for Nexus on improving NMM actually gets the job done.

LOOT changed the numbering in a recent updtae, negative 127 to positive 127, and the guide has not been updated.

Okay... so again... STEP guide is NOT up to date! Well... what am I suppose to enter here?? LOOT changed it to "-127 to +127"... and STEP guide is old and says  "97000"... What now?

If you have to install a mod with options there's a couple of ways of going about it. All are equally as valid.

1) Download and install the main mod file. Every option you install from the same mod page will then give you the option to MERGE it into the originally installed Mod, or to RENAME it.

2) Choose either option. If you MERGE it all into one, the version you'll see in MO will be the version of the MAIN mod. If you RENAME it, You can change the name to reflect that it's an optional file for the main mod.you can do something like this:

* Main Mod File Name

* Main Mod File Name- Optional 1

* Main Mod File Name - Optional 2

Both ways are equally as valid.

Merging everything into one gives a cleaner and neater Left Hand Pane in MO. Renaming every optional gives you the change at a nutshell to see what's installed.

Regards the other question about using MO for the original Skyrim and NMM for Skyrim Special Edition, yes you can do that and it's fine. I hate NMM with a passion and have determined to never use it. Hence I'm not modding Skyrim Special Edition until the guy who developed MO in the first place, and who is now working for Nexus on improving NMM actually gets the job done.

So, you're saying, since STEP said to download that option file (and is old), now to download the new update and MERGE them together! Fine, got it.

Okay... so I'll try NMM too, with Skyrim SE. I'm already did that (with SE, with NMM) and I was fine with the result.

Okay... so again... STEP guide is NOT up to date! Well... what am I suppose to enter here?? LOOT changed it to "-127 to +127"... and STEP guide is old and says  "97000"... What now?

Use 127 in place of large numbers such as 97000. The guide will be updated as needed.

Use 127 in place of large numbers such as 97000. The guide will be updated as needed.

Great, but I have OTHER TOO mods with Priority order (different, quite much more large number, more characters than three). So, if I place 127... to the other what to do? Thus, the guide NEEDS update. Also, for the Static Mesh Improvement Mod - SMIM; the guide says "instructions for 2,03"... the mod is already 2,04!

I'm using the STEP GUIDE 2.2.9.2. Everybody I've asked about the latest STEP guide (and after I search myself in Google), this 2.2.9.2 is the latest, I haven't found any newer... 

Don't worry too much about small issues like this. If you tried to install SMIM already you would've noticed that the options in the script have not changed and you can simply use all the same recommendations STEP provides with version 2.04 as it does with 2.03.

To put your mind at rest I'll edit the SMIM page to reflect the version change.

Also as you are now branching out of MO specific related questions, try posting new questions in the forum specific to the subject, such as either the main STEP guide page or perhaps the SMIM page. That way all related questions about things like this will be easier to find by newer users that may face these same things.

In STEP, for Skyrim Total Enhancement mod, they're saying to download one of the optional files; which I did.

But, after I did, I discovered that is an old version (1.2) - and in mod's page there the new one (2.2.9.2). Fine... but since I CHOOSE one option file (the "Performance" one), how am I suppose to know which update to pick??? There isn't any choice in the new update, there isn't a "Performance" Option file update.

And how am I upgrading? Simply pressing again (from Nexus) the "green button"? And if the mod has THE SAME name with the old version? What am I doing, then?

We use our Nexus page as a file repository. There will be two files you download from it. One of the Main Files and one of the Optional Files.

The Optional File is installed first in the Fixes section of the Guide. This file is simply optimized vanilla textures, and version 1.2 is the correct version for these files.

The Main File is installed near the end of the Guide and will install a mod compilation and the STEP Patches. This mod will have an installer which will walk you through the choices available to you. If some choices aren't available, it's because you didn't install a mod that requires the option. For this file, version 2.2.9.2 is correct. You will also have to change the name of the file when you get to it in Section N of the Guide. This is because the two files are coming from the same Nexus page and MO will "think" they are the same file, though they are not.

Nah, Grand, I want to finish the installation, I'm finishing the Sound Section now (2.L)...

Don't worry, Angel... Is been a while and I think I found it, I'm WAY FAR bellow now (into Sound section).

Questions:

1) I'm installing STEP (and I want also to install the Extended Patch); I suppose I'll finish the "Regular" STEP installation and then I'll install the "Extended" mods, ok?

2) I made a pure fresh installation of Steam & Skyrim (both, Legendary & SE). I wanted to installed everything and start a new game (I haven't yet, I just entered to the main menu with the dragon shield). Should I start a game (to test the mods so far) or since I'm following the guide to finished them all? I'll place the "Another Life", so I'm thinking not start with the regular Vanilla start (car, execution, Alduin, etc).

3) I've seen that STEP suggesting mods without nudity (on models), which I don't like - I want to make Skyrim AS MUCH AS "real life" I can. Can you tell me what mods to install for:

- Nice muscular & texture (nude) body for male (my character)

- Nice (better) & texture (nude) bodies for all Skyrim females (NPC and not)

- Female (sexy) motion (walking) animation for all females (to change in MCM)

- Additional mods for nudity (not anything "erotic", I care not). I just want to make the males more handsome warriors and the ladies more beautiful - but also "real life" (not with... bikini!!!! In a "Medieval Fantasy" world, they didn't had... bikini)

4) I want to add that semi-cycle indicator (on the left top), that shows the sun & moon phases (and Skyrim time, of course). Also, I want to add bellow that THE REAL TIME (from my PC), to watching and understand that... is too late and I need to quite and sleep (lol)

5) Better merchants (not that STEP suggesting, too much complicated and "too much" in general). I simply want better prices & more gold to add (to them), that's all.

6) I know now that the best mod-Followers of Skyrim, are three: "Record", "Sofia"... and ONE MORE which I can't recall! I think is a lady too, but I can't recall! Do you know to tell me?

7) I want more than 1 followers. NOT TOO MANY, just 3 would be fine (with extra controls for them). Any mod suggestion?

8) Best non-official "DLCs"? Complete quests? (Obviously I don't need them NOW, just asking).

Okay... I tested (the game). Seems fine, but I have some issues (don't know if some of the 200+ mods are running):

1) I installed the HUD and checked the settings in MCM (in the game), but when I'm going Stealth... the bow cross-mark is gone! I mean, I can't aim the damn thing, there isn't any target mark.

2) The First Person camera STEP settings are not so good. In the beginning (execution, Alduin), I step-up from the car and moved... and I could see... through my head and back neck! Obviously, the camera values for the First Person (STEP) make the camera to MOVE A BIT BACK (from the eyes position) and I can see... my head, through my head, etc.

3) Although I placed in the mods 1K-2K textures, especially the shadows are very blurry and "tearing".

4) Body textures (skin, faces) still are not well, looks like Vanilla's.

5) I installed these mods for "boosting" smoke, candles, etc., but I didn't see any smoke or so in so many "lighting sources" in the keep.

6) I hate how dark they do caves/dungeons/nights most of the "very advanced" mods set, but STEP still has the game with VERY bright dark areas.

7) I had 4-5 imperial boots and I tried to get rid a couple and when I pressed the drop button... all went to the ground, not one-by-one. And in some case (over 6), I didn't had the slider to pick the amount.

8) Generally, the environments (exterior) looking great, but the interiors in some cases are not similar great (they are BETTER than Vanilla, but not so great as the exterior scenes). Still, bodies, textures, skins, faces are terrible (even my character's). I thought they would (changed).

...These for now. Any help?

9) I haven't created yet the [2.N.Patches] yet - "Step Compilation", "Bashed Patch", etc... because first I found them quite difficult (I need time to read carefully the instructions), but mostly because I haven't yet finished the "set", I want to install MY PERSONAL flavor's mods (and STEP don't use)... And if I finished my favorite extra mods, create the "Step Compilation", "Bashed Patch", etc mods (which I think they are "finalizing" mods)... if I want to ADD A COUPLE MORE after... what's then?

10) Surely I want to make all characters of Skyrim (NPCs and no, male & female) to look more beautiful and sexy. Please, suggest me what to do.