Hectrol CAVES DELUXE HighRes Retex (by Hectrol)

thalastwon

What set of cave textures (in post #30) look the best?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What set of cave textures (in post #30) look the best?

• Vanilla + HRDLC
    • Snow and Rocks Textures HD (current STEP)
    • Beauty of Skyrim
    • Hectrol Caves Deluxe

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:facepalm: its always something

i thought the protocol was:  Vanilla >>  current STEP >> proposed STEP

so i thought that anything having to do with a different proposed mod (i.e. Beauty of Skyrim) would go into its own respective thread. but again, it looks like i was wrong. ^$@$^

Ill get the screenshot for Beauty (in the same exact locations, of course) and edit my post to include that.

Beauty of Skyrim - Shot 1

Posted Image

Beauty of Skyrim - Shot 1

Posted Image

i just decided to make a new post instead, that way you would know theres been an update in the thread. So these are the same scenes as i posted yesterday, with Beuaty of Skyrim - Caves installed

No need to correct double posts, one of the mods will be by to delete it.

Anyways, I'm really partial to Hectrol still, but Beauty of Skyrim is quite good. I'd be happy with either of those.

No need to correct double posts, one of the mods will be by to delete it.

Anyways, I'm really partial to Hectrol still, but Beauty of Skyrim is quite good. I'd be happy with either of those.

Yeah i agree. The hectrol has grown on me. And, even though this is not STEP-approved yet, when you use interior/dungeon lighting mods like ELFX, the hectrol textures come out to look rather similar to vanilla in terms of color. But if you look at the compares i posted (obviously without any lighting mods, etc.), the hectrols are a lighter shade of color than the others.  If I were basing it solely on the compares, I would probably opt for Beauty.

That being said, there is one drawback to using Beauty in my opinion, and thats the fact that the textures being used for caves are extremely similar to the textures he uses for the mines.. such that there would be very little difference between caves and mines. Maybe use hectrol for caves (since that's all his mod covers anyway) and then use Beauty just for the mines

Thanks for doing that! I've updated the OP with your shots. I'll reopen the poll when I get my shots posted as well (tomorrow), unless someone else beats me to it. This way there will be at least 4 different compares for each mod.

As for right now, my evaluation is:

Hectrol is nice in some place and "ew" in others for me. I'm still of the opinion that it looks too "carved out" for my liking. If this mod wins out, it will not be included as a Core mod (which the current STEP, Snow and Rocks HD, is Core) because it's too much of a deviation from vanilla in terms of style. However, Beauty of Skyrim is just that...beautiful and is very close to vanilla. Close enough to remain a Core mod if it replaces Snow and Rocks HD.

Of the new shots michael took, I'm very partial to Hectrol (especially after playing with it in game - wow). Beauty of Skyrim is a close second - though, if Hectrol deviates too much from the vanilla art style, then I wouldn't mind if Beauty got included.

Also, Snow and Rocks isn't completely replaced by Beauty of Skyrim, so some of the textures used will still be there.

(I've reopened the poll and moved the shots in the order of voting, to prevent confusion)