Dynamic Distant Objects LOD - DynDOLOD 2.21

sheson

Question

DynDOLOD 2.19/2.20 / 2.21 condensed update post | Full Update Post | Skyrim Special Edition

What’s New?

This updates includes minor speed improvements for DynDOLOD.exe and TexGen.exe, 64 bit executables and visual improvements for billboards used as static LOD (higher LOD levels 8/16) if using the ultra tree LOD option. Of course there are also a few updates for a couple mods.

See Full update post for 2.xx update instructions

64 bit executables

To avoid confusion, this has nothing to do with Skyrim SE being 64 bit. Just going with the flow. There is no requirement for this right now, but it will work natively with 64 bit managers or if executed directly. 64 bit versions are a tiny bit slower due to a couple reasons, but obviously they will allow for more data to be loaded... in the future... for insanely large load orders. Another long term benefit is, that the 64 bit changes are merged back into xEdit sources.

Improvements for billboards used as static LOD

When using the ultra tree option and you ever thought far away trees or trees on the map look too dark or too bright, check out the new Trees on the Map section in docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html. The new default settings should already result in better lighting behavior. If not try any of the additional tips from the manual. To update an existing save game, it is enough to just do an update generation with the existing DynDOLOD.esp in the load order. Then no clean save cycle is required. Just a save in an interior before updating.

Persistent references

There is a new switch Temporary=0/1 in ..\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5.ini, which instructs the patcher to use less persistent references. This is for users who have so many mods installed and suffer from CTD when clicking new as we discussed recently. The downside is, that by using temporary references more plugins may have to be used as masters and the generated DynDOLOD.esp will be larger, because of additional CELL data that needs to be copied. If you do not have any problems starting the game there should be no reason to use this setting.

Mods Requiring DynDOLOD

Spice of Life - Orc Strongholds - overwrite meshes from DynDOLOD Resources with the ones included in the mod

Verified working out of the box - included rules

Wind's Rest Estate - A Whiterun Tundra Home

Ayleid Palace Remastered

Verified working out of the box - added/updated meshes and/or textures

Settlements Expanded

Greater Skaal Village

Whiteraven Manor

Tactical Valtheim

Dwemer Manor

JKs Skaal village

Dolmen Ruins - ESO Dark Anchors

Peak Aspens - Billboards included in versions for DynDOLOD/TES5LODGen in optional files

Fantasy Forest Overhaul - Billboards included in versions for DynDOLOD/TES5LODGen in optional files

DynDOLOD 2.21 - Download from Mega, Nexus

DynDOLOD Resources 2.20 - Download from Mega, Nexus

DynDOLOD Patches 2.22 - Download from Mega, Nexus

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.19]DynDOLOD.exe - added xespignore file for XESP markers to ignore instead of the one hardcoded dunCGOutsideClutterMarker from intro scene

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed sometimes not correctly identifying Has Tree LOD flag on base records

DynDOLOD.exe - added settings FlatLODLightingEffect, FlatLODGlowMap and FlatLODLevelLODFlat to DynDOLOD.ini, see docs\trees.ultra\DynDOLOD-Trees.html

DynDOLOD.exe - added a switch Temporary to use less persistent references for overloaded load orders, will result in more plugins required as masters and larger esp

DynDOLOD.exe - added verbose switch for LODGen.exe to DynDOLOD.ini

DynDOLOD.exe - updated reading existing tree LOD to be able to read btt data from BSA

DynDOLOD.exe - some minor performance improvements

DynDOLOD.exe - changed log filename to DynDOLOD_log.txt

DynDOLOD.exe - added a x64 version

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

TexGen.exe - some minor performance improvements

TexGen.exe - changed log filename to TexGen_log.txt

TexGen.exe - added a x64 version

LODGen.exe - added optional --inputfile path/to/file command line parameter, first parameter just being path/to/file still works too

LODGen.exe - make billboards soft lighting behave more similar to vanilla tree LOD (FlatLODLightingEffect and FlatLODGlowMap)

LODGen.exe - added setting LOD Objects flag for higher LOD levels on billboards (FlatLODLevelLODFlat)

LODGen.exe - added a x64 version

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - updated compatibility information for several mods

DynDOLOD Resources - updated/added meshes for better compatibility with mods

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.20]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed a list assignment

TexGen.exe - sync updates with DynDOLOD.exe

DynDOLOD Resources - Papyrus Scripts - fixed a race condition

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.21]

DynDOLOD.exe - fixed a case of removing entire worlds when removing empty cells

DynDOLOD.exe - added an installation path check

DynDOLOD_Manual.html - updated compatibility information for several mods

DynDOLOD Patches - added script patches for Caranthir Tower Reborn 2.x

[spoiler=Changelog DynDOLOD 2.22]

DynDOLOD Patches - fixed a typo in Wizard.txt

See Full update post for full changelog, fully detailed update instructions and updated compatibility information for Skryim mods.

DynDOLOD 2.18

Hi Sheson, Hi dunc001,

I was just going to look you guys up as I stumbled onto a bit more info on this CTD yesterday. And wouldn't you know it, Sheson has already moved on this to try to mitigate the problem!

Alright, I'll start with the additional bit I found. Like dunc, I've been "running lite" so to speak to avoid triggering this "overload" bug. Just a couple mods short so I can at least swap out quest/adventure/dungeon mods and play through them one at a time. Then it dropped Death Mountain 2 into my load order. DM2 has no scripts at all, not even TIFs, just LODS, meshes and textures, and an ESP of course. Since I hadn't had any problems with scriptless mods before, I thought this would be safe. Nope. Same overload CTD. O.k., so I pull out a couple of big worldspace mods and lo and behold DM2 loads.

O.k., so I go back to the earlier config where DM2 CTDs.... Its not the LODs, meshes or textures or I would just CTD all the time. It's not scripts or fragments because it doesn't have any. Which only leaves what's in the ESP.

So I have a look at the ESP with TES5Edit. I figure since the ESP is basically used to put static objects and recipes into the world, then fine, I'll just see if I can't start deleting sections of the ESP until I can get the game to load with it in the load order.

I remove Worldspaces, nope. NPCs, nope, Locations, Containers, Constructible Object, all nope, nope, nope. I do these one at a time and if it still CTDs I drop in a fresh copy of the ESP and remove the next category.

Then I delete the Cells.

And bloody LOAD.

All of a sudden I'm in my regular game. I can also start a new game.

So I look at the Cells manually in TES5Edit and good lord, tens of thousands of Permanent and Temporary references, at about a 1/6 ratio. And many, many more permanent references in Cells than in Worldspaces (in worldspaces they're almost all temps).

So I applied your countrefs script, Sheson [EDIT: I was writing as you were replying to dunc, Sheson; the countref.pas I used was the first one you let us have about three weeks ago. I'll get your new one now], to WorldSpaces in DM2 and get back just 16909. When applied to the Cells of the same mod I get back 56463. Again, not 64 000 or some such, but there's no question: pulling those references from the ESP lets the engine load a save or start a new game. It probably doesn't do much for Death Mountain 2, though...

(Thankfully, I found that I can load Clockwork without triggering the CTD, especially given that Halloween is just around the corner :)

O.k., so as soon as I get the chance, I'm going to upgrade to version 2.20 of DynDOLOD and see if I can throw a few more mods at this load order that would otherwise CTD it. (Here's hoping I don't mess up the update; the last time I did that was with v2.14...and it's been triple A+).

Also, should someone like Arthmoor, or Nazenn specifically, be given a heads up on this issue given they're generally the gatekeepers of bugs, conflicts and engine problems?

Edited by Sundder

Hi Sheson, Hi dunc001,

I was just going to look you guys up as I stumbled onto a bit more info on this CTD yesterday. And wouldn't you know it, Sheson has already moved on this to try to mitigate the problem!

Alright, I'll start with the additional bit I found. Like dunc, I've been "running lite" so to speak to avoid triggering this "overload" bug. Just a couple mods short so I can at least swap out quest/adventure/dungeon mods and play through them one at a time. Then it dropped Death Mountain 2 into my load order. DM2 has no scripts at all, not even TIFs, just LODS, meshes and textures, and an ESP of course. Since I hadn't had any problems with scriptless mods before, I thought this would be safe. Nope. Same overload CTD. O.k., so I pull out a couple of big worldspace mods and lo and behold DM2 loads.

O.k., so I go back to the earlier config where DM2 CTDs.... Its not the LODs, meshes or textures or I would just CTD all the time. It's not scripts or fragments because it doesn't have any. Which only leaves what's in the ESP.

So I have a look at the ESP with TES5Edit. I figure since the ESP is basically used to put static objects and recipes into the world, then fine, I'll just see if I can't start deleting sections of the ESP until I can get the game to load with it in the load order.

I remove Worldspaces, nope. NPCs, nope, Locations, Containers, Constructible Object, all nope, nope, nope. I do these one at a time and if it still CTDs I drop in a fresh copy of the ESP and remove the next category.

Then I delete the Cells.

And bloody LOAD.

All of a sudden I'm in my regular game. I can also start a new game.

So I look at the Cells manually in TES5Edit and good lord, tens of thousands of Permanent and Temporary references, at about a 1/6 ratio. And many, many more permanent references in Cells than in Worldspaces (in worldspaces they're almost all temps).

So I applied your countrefs script, Sheson [EDIT: I was writing as you were replying to dunc, Sheson; the countref.pas I used was the first one you let us have about three weeks ago. I'll get your new one now], to WorldSpaces in DM2 and get back just 16909. When applied to the Cells of the same mod I get back 56463. Again, not 64 000 or some such, but there's no question: pulling those references from the ESP lets the engine load a save or start a new game. It probably doesn't do much for Death Mountain 2, though...

(Thankfully, I found that I can load Clockwork without triggering the CTD, especially given that Halloween is just around the corner :)

O.k., so as soon as I get the chance, I'm going to upgrade to version 2.20 of DynDOLOD and see if I can throw a few more mods at this load order that would otherwise CTD it. (Here's hoping I don't mess up the update; the last time I did that was with v2.14...and it's been triple A+).

Also, should someone like Arthmoor, or Nazenn specifically, be given a heads up on this issue given they're generally the gatekeepers of bugs, conflicts and engine problems?

Yes, please check with the new script again for sure. Right now temporary references should not matter.

I am trying to run generate the DynDOLOD but ran into an error. I checked the background loader to find that most of the Skyrim.bsa's were skipped. Not sure what the deal is or how to proceed. Below is the error log:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yuers6v0vkgjt8g/DynDOLOD_log.txt?dl=0

Edit more background:

Been having various problems with this install and execution.

For instance, there was an error when trying to create files for the cache. It was referencing the Data directory in the error code so I created the folder at:

Z:\Games\Skyrim\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Data\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\cache

...despite the actual folder where DynoDOLOD is installed being located in the Mod Organizer folder at:

Z:\Games\Skyrim\steamapps\common\Skyrim\Mod Organizer\mods\DynDOLOD

Edited by CtMrebelL10N

Ran into a bug when running DynDOLOD.exe Patcher on Beyond Reach by razorkid1. end up with the following error. Exception in unit userscript line 322: List index out of bounds (-1). Not really sure how to troubleshoot this as I am by no means proficient in how your mod works. I know that it is one of the three world spaces for razorkid's mod as DynDOLOD runs fine without selecting those spaces. Is there a way that I can figure out how to fix this? I am fine playing without DynDOLOD for those world spaces, but I really enjoy troubleshooting mods and would like to figure this out.

Ran into a bug when running DynDOLOD.exe Patcher on Beyond Reach by razorkid1. end up with the following error. Exception in unit userscript line 322: List index out of bounds (-1). Not really sure how to troubleshoot this as I am by no means proficient in how your mod works. I know that it is one of the three world spaces for razorkid's mod as DynDOLOD runs fine without selecting those spaces. Is there a way that I can figure out how to fix this? I am fine playing without DynDOLOD for those world spaces, but I really enjoy troubleshooting mods and would like to figure this out.

Please post/upload DynDOLOD\Logs\DynDOLOD_log.txt

Like jonny6101 and CtMrebelL10N, my running of DynDOLOD.exe (and x64 version) ended with an error in line 322.

Here's the end of the log showing that exception report:

[00:03:06.038]	Creating mini atlas data
[00:03:06.130]	Gathering meshes for atlas creation
[00:03:06.282]	Processing meshes for atlas creation
[00:03:06.782]	Creating atlas textures C:\Users\Vargr\Documents\Games\Elder Scrolls\Skyrim\DynDOLOD-2.19\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\DynDOLOD_Flat_Atlas_Tamriel.dds from 32 textures
[00:03:13.474]	Creating atlas textures C:\Users\Vargr\Documents\Games\Elder Scrolls\Skyrim\DynDOLOD-2.19\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_Output\Textures\DynDOLOD\LOD\DynDOLOD_Atlas_Tamriel.dds from 136 textures
[00:03:40.210]	Combining mini atlas map
[00:03:40.232]	Combining flat atlas map
[00:03:40.249]	Executing LODGenx64.exe
[00:03:40.263]	"C:\Users\Vargr\Documents\Games\Elder Scrolls\Skyrim\DynDOLOD-2.19\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\LODGenx64.exe" --inputfile "C:\Users\Vargr\Documents\Games\Elder Scrolls\Skyrim\DynDOLOD-2.19\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\Export\LODGen_Tamriel.txt" --logfile "C:\Users\Vargr\Documents\Games\Elder Scrolls\Skyrim\DynDOLOD-2.19\DynDOLOD\Logs\LODGen_Tamriel_log.txt" --dontFixTangents --removeUnseenFaces --skyblivionTexPath
[00:03:40.287]	Found C:\Users\Vargr\Documents\Games\Elder Scrolls\Skyrim\DynDOLOD-2.19\DynDOLOD\Edit Scripts\DynDOLOD\DynDOLOD_TES5_manual_refr_Tamriel.txt
[00:03:40.309]	Add 5 manual cells for DynDOLOD
[00:03:40.336]	Adding Master into Tamriel
[00:03:40.359]	Setting up 10413 cells with 625 active cells for 3350 dynamic LOD objects for DynDOLOD - T
[00:04:26.901]	
[00:04:26.901]	Exception in unit userscript line 322: One or more errors occurred
[00:04:26.901]	
[00:04:26.901]	Check log lines above the exception for additional hints.
[00:04:26.901]	If problem persists, post error report with contents of ..\DynDOLOD\logs\DynDOLOD_log.txt to http://forum.step-project.com/topic/5011-dynamic-distant-objects-lod-dyndolod

Update DynDOLOD to 2.20

Totally worked. Awesome mod man. I can't even begin to think how long this took to make. I would love to learn more about this mod and how it works. Any tips on reading material?

Edited by jonny6101

Totally worked. Awesome mod man. I can't even begin to think how long this took to make. I would love to learn more about this mod and how it works. Any tips on reading material?

It took over 2 1/2 years so far. Not counting the time having to fix Skyrim memory first for the increased memory demands and the problems I ran into while trying to add more full model neverfades.

Have a look at DynDOLOD\Docs\DynDOLOD_Reference.html. It is somewhat outdated, missing some of the latest stuff, but at the core it will be still correct. Just reading the manual top to bottom will also explain a lot, also about steps that are not needed to be done by users anymore, like splitting existing tree LOD. If you follow from proof of concept of dynamic LOD in 2014 that ran hours (well, the original first post is missing, but from 2nd post on... I mean if you are really really bored but interested) to Zilav programming the tree LOD and TES5LODGen and us getting hold of the source of LODGen.exe from Ehamloptiran so I could start to fix issues and add features myself, there is quite some history - and some of that still shows in the manual explaining things that thankfully nobody has to do anymore (old video).

Edited by sheson
  • +1 1

I can not really help with problems the game already has when DynDOLOD is not installed. I suggest you follow a modding guide like S.T.E.P. from the ground up.

Then read the performance section in the manual.

The problem is, my game only stopped working so well once I installed DynDOLOD. I had done extensive testing prior, and the game worked just fine. Now, upon trying to reinstall three times from the ground up and uninstalling, the game still doesn't work. In the end, I'm going to backup my INI's and reinstall Skyrim. Its a good thing I can keep my configurations and easily reinstall all mods via Nexus Mod Manager. Of course, expected results for this sort of thing always varies from machine to machine. Thank you for putting out the resources and guides to help make the testing possible, at least. Perhaps, this has something to do with my AMD card.

The problem is, my game only stopped working so well once I installed DynDOLOD. I had done extensive testing prior, and the game worked just fine. Now, upon trying to reinstall three times from the ground up and uninstalling, the game still doesn't work. In the end, I'm going to backup my INI's and reinstall Skyrim. Its a good thing I can keep my configurations and easily reinstall all mods via Nexus Mod Manager. Of course, expected results for this sort of thing always varies from machine to machine. Thank you for putting out the resources and guides to help make the testing possible, at least. Perhaps, this has something to do with my AMD card.

You wrote the game has problems after you deleted DynDOLOD. When modding correctly, something that does not exist can not cause problems. I can not help with troubleshooting something that does not exist. Typically the first troubleshooting step would be to disable the mod you created from the output. If the problem still exists afterwards, it means the cause is not the mod you just disabled. I guess you might want to verify that the mod is actually disabled for real.

I suggest you follow a modding guide like S.T.E.P. from the ground up. Then read the performance section in the manual.

Edited by sheson

Yes, please check with the new script again for sure. Right now temporary references should not matter.

Well, now we're really getting somewhere. Here are my results...

Non-CTD Load Order:

Total for each parent world including child worlds with Use Sky Cell flag

Tamriel 53410

CWTestHold 17

DLC2SolstheimWorld 3709

WyrmstoothWorld 3210

manny_GF_O 717

manny_GF_Desert 2133

MBITreacheryCircle 726

MBIFraudCircle 10

00MBI_GluttonyWorld 973

WhiterunWorld 84

MBI_Darren_Anger_worldspace1 577

0_MBI_Dante_ARENA1 1442

MBI_Limbo 811

BDBStabbyHideoutWorld 45

WZONESwarehouse 43

WZONESwarehouseWZA 44

ERDPGiantCave01World 44

ERDPGiantCave02World 24

WindPass_World 26

Vuldur 9

arnimaDUPLICATE003 5254

ArnimaVoid 1638

XJKislandWorld 1534

ACX_TheGatewayRuined_Worldspace 583

ACX_TheGatewayExt_Worldspace 593

==============================

Total for each parent world including all child worlds

Tamriel 65228 <–Is this looking suspicious yet?

CWTestHold 17

DLC2SolstheimWorld 4897

WyrmstoothWorld 4412

manny_GF_O 717

manny_GF_Desert 2613

MBITreacheryCircle 726

MBIFraudCircle 10

00MBI_GluttonyWorld 973

WhiterunWorld 84

0_MBI_Dante_ARENA1 1442

MBI_Limbo 811

BDBStabbyHideoutWorld 45

WZONESwarehouse 43

WZONESwarehouseWZA 44

ERDPGiantCave01World 44

ERDPGiantCave02World 24

WindPass_World 26

Vuldur 9

tos_SunkenTowerWorld 6

arnimaDUPLICATE003 6303

ArnimaVoid 1638

XJKislandWorld 1534

93399 Grand Total

CTD Load order (Same as above but with Death Mountain 2 added)

Tamriel 53449

CWTestHold 17

DLC2SolstheimWorld 3709

WyrmstoothWorld 3210

manny_GF_O 717

manny_GF_Desert 2133

MBITreacheryCircle 726

MBIFraudCircle 10

00MBI_GluttonyWorld 973

WhiterunWorld 84

0_MBI_Dante_ARENA1 1442

MBI_Limbo 811

BDBStabbyHideoutWorld 45

WZONESwarehouse 43

WZONESwarehouseWZA 44

ERDPGiantCave01World 44

ERDPGiantCave02World 24

WindPass_World 26

Vuldur 9

arnimaDUPLICATE003 5254

ArnimaVoid 1638

XJKislandWorld 1534

Tamriel   65898   <– Yup, this crashes my Skyrim to desktop on save load or new game

CWTestHold 17

DLC2SolstheimWorld 4897

WyrmstoothWorld 4412

manny_GF_O 717

manny_GF_Desert 2613

MBITreacheryCircle 726

MBIFraudCircle 10

00MBI_GluttonyWorld 973

WhiterunWorld 84

0_MBI_Dante_ARENA1 1442

MBI_Limbo 811

BDBStabbyHideoutWorld 45

WZONESwarehouse 43

WZONESwarehouseWZA 44

ERDPGiantCave01World 44

ERDPGiantCave02World 24

WindPass_World 26

Vuldur 9

Sovngarde 763

tos_SunkenTowerWorld 6

arnimaDUPLICATE003 6303

ArnimaVoid 1638

XJKislandWorld 1534

94832 Grand Total

But wait, it gets better!

Non-CTD Load Order Without DynDOLOD 2.14 (sorry, haven't gotten around to setting up 2.20 yet)

Tamriel 26941

CWTestHold 17

DLC2SolstheimWorld 1696

WyrmstoothWorld 753

manny_GF_O 10

manny_GF_Desert 245

MBITreacheryCircle 81

MBIFraudCircle 10

00MBI_GluttonyWorld 33

WhiterunWorld 84

MBI_Darren_Anger_worldspace1 133

0_MBI_Dante_ARENA1 371

MBI_Limbo 156

BDBStabbyHideoutWorld 45

WZONESwarehouse 43

WZONESwarehouseWZA 44

ERDPGiantCave01World 44

ERDPGiantCave02World 24

WindPass_World 26

Vuldur 9

arnimaDUPLICATE003 1213

ArnimaVoid 151

XJKislandWorld 195

ACX_TheGatewayRuined_Worldspace 38

ACX_TheGatewayExt_Worldspace 19

Tamriel 32087 <– Good grief, that's HALF of the total with DynDOLOD medium output active!!! Sheson, you done gone and broke Skyrim ;)

CWTestHold 17

DLC2SolstheimWorld 1925

WyrmstoothWorld 903

manny_GF_O 10

manny_GF_Desert 247

MBITreacheryCircle 81

MBIFraudCircle 10

00MBI_GluttonyWorld 33

WhiterunWorld 84

MBI_Darren_Anger_worldspace1 133

0_MBI_Dante_ARENA1 371

MBI_Limbo 156

BDBStabbyHideoutWorld 45

WZONESwarehouse 43

WZONESwarehouseWZA 44

ERDPGiantCave01World 44

ERDPGiantCave02World 24

WindPass_World 26

Vuldur 9

Sovngarde 763

tos_SunkenTowerWorld 6

arnimaDUPLICATE003 1412

ArnimaVoid 151

XJKislandWorld 195

ACX_TheGatewayRuined_Worldspace 38

ACX_TheGatewayExt_Worldspace 19

38876 Grand Total

So now I know why I first ran into this when I installed DynDOLOD, almost at the tail end of my planned load order.

Can't wait to see what results I get with 2.20 and the Temp refs toggle turned on!