Opening Scene Overhaul by elderscrolliangamer aka Publick Gamer

Shadriss

My thoughts have already been stated, I think, but I'll reiterate them here:

1) Surprised that this wasn't part of CRF, though given how finicky Helgen is, that may have been a deliberate choice.

2) Fills in a few gaps in what was going on, which is always welcome, using all the original voices and dialog (with the exception of a re-voiced Hadvar, which, though quiet, is a good set of recordings), which is always a good thing.

Those who run Live Another Life do have one minor incompatibility issue that is easily worked around, but does bear mentioning. As LAL is not part of STEP, however, this is of secondary concern.

Based on this being restored content, and the general quality of it's restoration, I would vote for it's inclusion into STEP Core.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My opinion is to add it to extended.
LAL may not be part of STEP but many many people install it after the first play-through, and many people use step to get into modding easily and learn. (I learned to use wrye bash here a long time ago). Adding it to core is inviting a lot of posts of "I have folowed STEP, but after installing LAL i'm having this weird bug).

Or as an alternative just put a note there.

I agree the additions are great.

• 1 month later...

I'm not wild about this one. There's too much cart dialog. Vanilla has a suitably solemn start, a few moments of silent contemplation while you the player take in the scenery. With this mod your wagon-mates jump right into it the moment the game starts, before the fade in has even begun in the SSE version. They're awfully chatty for POWs on their way to their execution. Tullius and Elenwen are way too loud. They are twenty feet away from you but it sounds like they're yelling in your ear. And while Ralof calling Elenwen a "thalmor *****" is lore-friendly, it's immersion breaking for me. The Hadvar voice acting is top notch, though, gotta give em kudos for that.

I don't recall my experience with Helgen Keep, but I think it was less invasive than the cart scene additions.

The author basically admitted to squeezing in as much as possible. I think a much more conservative approach to this sort of mod would be more my speed. I think most of what Beth cut didn't add anything, so it was a good idea to cut it. I do really like the Elenwen conversation, but it's much too loud. If it was a quiet easter egg only the most observant players could eavesdrop on, that would be a big improvement.

Edited by spaceoden

• 9 months later...

Agreed on too much talking. It actually creates a bug.. when Tullius enters the gate and talks to Elenwen. The timing is a bit off when Ralof says "Look at him! He's with the Thalmor" or somesuch. Ralof says it too early.

That said, it's cool that you can in fact hear Elenwen and Tullius actually arguing. There's just a few snags about it.

The real meat of this mod is in siding with Ralof and joining Ulfric a bit in the Keep. It's kind of interesting the angle Bethesda was originally going here. It's very reminscent of running out of the prison with Uriel Septim.. like a bizarro counterpart to all of those times we helped the Empire in the beginning of TES games.

Also the new Hadvar is a downgrade. The old actor for Hadvar was good as well as unique.. one of the few actual Scandinavian actors Bethesda got for the game and it's used nowhere else. To replace with him with some pseudo Scottish guy is unfortunate. This is worse than that Rotmulag mod that replaces Paarthurnax's voice.. because at least you can use tools to approximate the original. Even that annoys me though, since Paarth is originally voiced by none other than Mario himself. You lose something when you get rid of these actors.

Edited by straylight

I'd much prefer a version that just enhances Ulfric in the Keep. Forget the old opening, forget changing Hadvar. Although I'm sure a couple of those things could still be retained and blend with vanilla. Like Elenwen arguing and the town screaming at Alduin.