Changes to Members and the Rep System.

TechAngel85

OP UPDATED for clarity and accuracy

Not impressed. looks a bit knee jerk to me over one thread.

Not knee-jerk at all. It is a long standing problem, and we are finally addressing it.

Editing posts actually was important to me. I always liked to edit posts when mistyping or when i posted a link and actualy it was wrong etc... Now double posting will rise on the forums a lot just to correct mistakes. I don't really see how some of the people that removed their posts can make you remove such an important feature... it's like removing a persons rights to correct his own mistakes.  It's not like you could edit someone elses posts...  ::):

How can you even reach to this "elevated" thingy ?

Realize that this post was prior to the OP/implementation change ... nevertheless, for posterity, time to begin using the "Preview Post" editor button if the 15 minutes is not enough.

I like the new system of no down-voting.

I am going to reserve judgement on the no editing thing to see how it plays out. I wonder if there is a function that would allow no editing after a certain amount of time passes since the post was written? I think I have seen such a system on other forums. That would satisfy STEP's requirement, while also allowing members to fix typos or mistakes, etc. If this is possible, it would be the best of both worlds.

Unfortunately, I have not found any option in the forum software to allow member-editing capacity to change by some posting or time trigger. Will look into other options, but I think the current implementation is pretty good for all.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately, I have not found any option in the forum software to allow member-editing capacity to change by some posting or time trigger. Will look into other options, but I think the current implementation is pretty good for all.

Isn't this what the current system is, Z? What I was suggesting (or meant to suggest, if I was not very clear) is actually exactly what I believe the system was changed to. A time limit after the post is made (currently 15 minutes) in which the user can edit the post. After the time limit has passed, editing is no longer allowed.

That is how I understand the system currently works, unless I am missing something...which is very possible, knowing me! Lol.

Isn't this what the current system is, Z? What I was suggesting (or meant to suggest, if I was not very clear) is actually exactly what I believe the system was changed to. A time limit after the post is made (currently 15 minutes) in which the user can edit the post. After the time limit has passed, editing is no longer allowed.

That is how I understand the system currently works, unless I am missing something...which is very possible, knowing me! Lol.

Yes, then that is correct. I thought you were talking about other member triggers like days of membership, post count, etc. I actually implemented the post-time limit around the time Tech created this topic, so we likely caused a stir for no reason other than my not creating the announcement myself :confused:

• 1 year later...

Couldn't be a bit better to give the chance to edit a post like once every week? 

This way i don't think there will be such an abuse and surely the forum will be used further, both from authors, both from users.

Thanks.

The only options for this are time limits and promotions. For time limits, a user has a certain amount of time to edit their posts before the privilege expires. Promotions can auto-promote users to a specific member group after a specified amount of posts. The forums are currently set to 15 minutes for time limits and is not using promotions.

Honestly this needs a bit of an update in the way we're handling things. So this is one of the things being looked at for STEP 3.0. It's been on my radar for a good while now. I simply want to wait for the updated forum software before putting everything into place. Hopefully S4N will have something done soon...

• 3 weeks later...

So if you hold the right cards, basic accounts can evolve and increase their overall strength, otherwise they have a greater weakness overall?

Also, how much energy is required to PM the staff?

You turned the forum into Pokemon! Let that set in for a moment...

Archived