Conflict Resolution

I reviewed the video twice at https://wiki.step-project.com/User:Neovalen/Skyrim_Revisited_-_Legendary_Edition/Conflict_Resolution but am still a little confused. A few questions.

1. Is the goal to try and have all conflicts be "green" or "close to a green shade?"

2. Does it matter which MOD you use to resolve the conflict, or does it just matter that it is resolved? As an example, I just pick the one that seems to make sense. 

3. Are there any additional videos on this? I did search YouTube, but the one referenced above appears to be the most dedicated, although I do find parts confusing.

My game is very stable now, at least it appears to be. But I'm just not sure if I did this part right or if I just got lucky.

Thanks all. 

Don't try to fix what's not broken. Unless you see some obvious errors in the game, you should be fine.

1. You won't be able to get all green, there will always be conflicts. Unless you have like maybe 4-5 mods, perhaps a few more even. But not with 200.

2. But what MOD you use depends on your load order. If you resolve a conflict on mod 25 with mod 10. Then your mod 36 might still override that fix. So if you want mod 10 to be compatible with mod 36, then you have to pass that data to that mod.

3. Google "skyrim conflict resolution", you have some good ones there. It's hard to tell which one is "best".

Hope it helps some.

1) The goal is resolve conflicts when necessary. We want to have every mod function properly, and data not to get lost unless we want it to get overwritten. NOT EVERYTHING will turn green. That is OK. The best advice I could give is to follow Neovalen's conflict resolution guide, and try to do the steps he wants you to do. That should teach you what types of conflicts should be resolved before you move on to conflict resolution with your own mods.

You can always compare with his CR plugin after to see if you did it right. If you don't have all the mods in the list, then copy a blank dummy plugin from one of the texture mods and rename it. Do that for all the missing mods, and install those plugins in MO. This should let you trick xEdit into loading Neo's CR patch, and that way you can compare.

2) Always create a new file to "Copy as override" into. This will be your patch. You can then copy many other records into that patch. It is a bad idea to start changing records on mods themselves, because then it is difficult to keep track of what is the original version in case you screw up.

If you are asking if it matters which file you use to make that override, then I would always copy the file that has the most in common with what I want to achieve. If Plugin A changes 5 things that I want to keep, and Plugin B changes 3 things that I want to keep, I will copy Plugin A as an override into my new patch file. Then I will move the changes over from Plugin B.

3) Thallassa has a decent video. The only real nitpick I have with it is that it shows her copying as override from the left window. I always copy as override from the right window, at the top where the plugin names are. That way you can choose which you want to copy over. Also, I always load my whole mod list into xEdit, so I can do all my CR work at once. But then again, I never have more than 255 plugins in the list. ;-)

I think Neo's CR guide is the best way to learn. I would recommend following it and using the logic to extend to whatever else you want to add.

I don't think there is easy answer. Each conflict has to be considered individually. Sometimes the winner is logical sometimes its just personal preference.

1) The goal is resolve conflicts when necessary. We want to have every mod function properly, and data not to get lost unless we want it to get overwritten. NOT EVERYTHING will turn green. That is OK. The best advice I could give is to follow Neovalen's conflict resolution guide, and try to do the steps he wants you to do. That should teach you what types of conflicts should be resolved before you move on to conflict resolution with your own mods.

You can always compare with his CR plugin after to see if you did it right. If you don't have all the mods in the list, then copy a blank dummy plugin from one of the texture mods and rename it. Do that for all the missing mods, and install those plugins in MO. This should let you trick xEdit into loading Neo's CR patch, and that way you can compare.

2) Always create a new file to "Copy as override" into. This will be your patch. You can then copy many other records into that patch. It is a bad idea to start changing records on mods themselves, because then it is difficult to keep track of what is the original version in case you screw up.

If you are asking if it matters which file you use to make that override, then I would always copy the file that has the most in common with what I want to achieve. If Plugin A changes 5 things that I want to keep, and Plugin B changes 3 things that I want to keep, I will copy Plugin A as an override into my new patch file. Then I will move the changes over from Plugin B.

3) Thallassa has a decent video. The only real nitpick I have with it is that it shows her copying as override from the left window. I always copy as override from the right window, at the top where the plugin names are. That way you can choose which you want to copy over. Also, I always load my whole mod list into xEdit, so I can do all my CR work at once. But then again, I never have more than 255 plugins in the list. ;-)

Nebulous forgive me as i am new to creating conflict patches using tes5edit. i understand the basics but could you explain in dummy terms about creating dummy esp for use with Neo,s patch as i know I will not be using all of the mods in his guide and I dont really understand how to go about creating the dummy esp from a texture mod as you suggest? Also once achieved this and fooled MO presumably these dummies have to be left in for the CR patch to work but its adding to my esp count and i am conscious of the 255 limit. Is there a betetr way, eg, edit his patch somwhow and remove reference to the missking mods? Thank you in advance

Use this method to create dummies of plugins you wish to remove from the premade Conflict Resolution.

1. Load Wrye Bash click on the CR and select File->Create dummy esps (this will create fake esps for what you are missing and place them into the overwrite folder).
  2. Load TES5edit with only SRLE Conflcit Resolution Selected wait until backgound loader has finished.
  3. Right click on SRLE Extended Conflict Resolution and check for errors.
  4. Remove the records that are broken from SRLE Extended Conflict Resolution(they will show after checking for errors).
  5. Save and Exit.
  6. Load SRLE Extended Conflict Resolution again in TES5Edit and then clean masters once done save and exit.
  7. Remove Fake plugins fron the overwrite folder.

Step 1 of what Paul said. And no, you don't need to leave them in afterword.

Alternatively, instead of making your own CR you can follow all the steps Paul mentioned to achieve the same result with the premade CR for mods in the SR:LE guide...but I prefer making my own.

Learning xEdit is essential to resolve conflicts with any mods that are not in the guide. And following along with Neo's CR is one of the best ways to learn xEdit conflict resolution.

I agree with Nebulous, since i myself am not using most of Neo's,Darth's mods making your own CR is better than creating fakes, because not only do i not use all of them i also add the mods that i want but not included in any guides.You should btw look in every detail of every mod you are going to install especially in guides because not all mods or fixes are actually necessary.As an example from darth's guide is :

NPC Retextures Merged SRLE Extended : Because it has many required masters that i don't use myself,in some cases it actually takes more time to create dummy esps then to do your own CR.

You also shouldn't follow the guides blindly if you intend to not follow it %100.If there is note under a mod such as the example above 'Post installation: Remove the original esp as this has been merged.'

If you do that when you are not going to install the NPC Retextures Merged SRLE Extended , you will actually need those esp's to create your own merge and CR after that.

Another obvious thing you should know is to understand the compatibity patches since you might actually won't use the mod that the patch requires(simply because you may have not gotten to that part in the guide yet and didn't check what the mod does/ if you want it or not) and therefor it will become a missing master in your MO  and might confuse you later on.

I should also say to read the mod's page for details just in case because it might surprise you in what you could find there(a future CTD that you might have been able to fix if you read it)

Last tip i myself(newbie) can give you is to make a list of the mods you want and yes i mean a full list because when you are installing a mod, it might have a compatiblity patch for another mod you are going to install but do not know of it yet.(This one was actually the most painful part for me)

If you know which mod you should consider to be the 'winner' in conflict then do that.But since you are a beginner then yes you should follow Neo's guide and skip the ones you don't have.However if you are going to install mods that are not included in the guides then you might need to do your own CR for those mods(if it is necessary that is).

From my understanding the main reason for conflict resoulution is to fix the CTD's that you might have because of some missing parameters in multiple mods that are conflicting with each other.The other reason is :

Lets say there is a 'Huge mod' that changes/adds many aspects to the game.However there is also a 'Big mod' that might change some of the same aspects of the game as well and when you activate both of them it is only natural that they will conflict with each other and when you put the one you want to win later in your load order that means it will overwrite the aspects of the early mod but only the same aspects that they are both editing.As an example it could be a chair texture and lets say you actually like the texture in your early mod in your load order better than the late one, however you cant change the load order because of some other reason then thats when conflict resoulution comes in handy.This means that you can actually 'choose' the things that the early mod should win in tes5edit even if it is very early in your load order.

Keep in my mind that i am very much a newbie and these might not be %100 true and i would appreciate someone more knowladgable to confirm this.