Lighting

I completely agree with techangel85. I don't think we should be enforcing any kind of writing style (as techangel points out' date=' not everyone writes the same)' date=' but rather ensuring that information is correct and understandable. Attempting to enforce such would pretty much require a full time editor to do nothing but that at some point in the future. Once the wiki is more open, anyone with access can update information as necessary and there really is no way you are going to be able to enforce it. At that point we really only care about accuracy of information, followed by if it's easily interpreted.[/quote'']

That is what I meant, essentially. By putting it out there and establishing some stylistic guidelines, then a modicum of consistency will ensue. Say nothing and you pretty much guarantee that we will have willy-nilly.

Before the wiki is completely open, I think it is worth establishing guidelines, best practices and good examples.

There is absolutely no reason to not ask people to attempt spell words correctly, to use ["to", "too", and "two"], ["there" and "their"], ["then" and "than"], ["affect" and "effect"], ["accept" and "except"] correctly. Furthermore, it would be pointless to not ask those who know better not to correct these sorts of errors.

These are not "rules" to be "enforced" :no:  but rather "guidelines" for the sake of prudence :yes:

Too true. Grammar and proper spelling are one thing. Writing style, however, will be unique. So long as we don't make a big deal of the former, we will be OK. And the very nature of a Wiki will allow numerous folks to be able to correct spelling and grammatical errors as they pop up.

Hey' date=' just wanted to say great work :).[/quote']

Thank you!

Also' date=' on the guidelines, those are good idea too. I'm a horrible speller. Luckily most programs have spell check, so there is no excuse for misspellings. I use Firefox and it's checking as I type this now so no excuses there. As for knowing the proper wording to use, (effect/affect, there/they're/their/, etc) some people just aren't good with literature. I have some personal friends that are just like that. Haha!

Also, I'm honored by the Wiki Editor Title, but I'm curious what the guidelines are to earn it?[/quote']

We have kept it closed to all but those that consistently provide meaningful contributions. Reason being to keep it clean until we develop the basic scaffolding of Semantic Mediawiki (Google that to learn more) and creating something with more functionality and purpose than a traditional wiki. We are approaching a final design now and realize the need to bring more content developers and general editors to take care of the more traditional aspects of maintenance.

You and Mothergoose simply showed a willingness and ability to generate useful content, so i just added you both to the editor group kind of on a whim :whistling:

Needless to say, it looks like it was a good call :thumbsup:

We have kept it closed to all but those that consistently provide meaningful contributions. Reason being to keep it clean until we develop the basic scaffolding of Semantic Mediawiki (Google that to learn more) and creating something with more functionality and purpose than a traditional wiki. We are approaching a final design now and realize the need to bring more content developers and general editors to take care of the more traditional aspects of maintenance.

You and Mothergoose simply showed a willingness and ability to generate useful content, so i just added you both to the editor group kind of on a whim :whistling:

Needless to say, it looks like it was a good call :thumbsup:

Thank you! :woot: Congrats to Mothergoose as well! I'm quite adept at Web design, XHTML, CSS, etc. I've had plenty of my own personal Web sites and built several for non-profits; however, I have very little wiki experience so I was using MediaWiki's formatting guide while I was editing. Then you mention it here, so I guess I picked a good source to learn from. :dance:

• 1 month later...

The image that I upload for this guide are broken. (comparison tab)

This seems like a template issue, as the URLs are still valid. maybe s4n has changed the template call?

EDIT: Confirmed. I fixed the first Gallery, so just change the rest to match. Keep in mind that case matters.

EDIT2: The Gallery/GalleryItems Templates are a great candidate for a form in and of themselves, such that we only need to input the file URLs and paths (i.e., it would be great if they could point to local files rather than just URLs)

• 1 month later...

Hi, The lighting guide needs to be looked at again as RLwC has been superseded by RLO.

Will you just swap RLO in and change the broken links for now or re-test with the new mod?

EDIT: Seeing from the banner you're aware of this.. won't let me just delete this post.