MO setup is in effect even without using MO instead of vanilla

amessagetoyou

Question

Hello, after watching Gopher's vids, I have started installing mods on my vanilla Steam version Oblivion. Everything went fine. Until I ran across the mod "Darnified UI" (https://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/10763/?) that literally refused to work with MO. It works fine by manual or OBMM installation so I don't know why this is happening

Now for some reason I cannot run my vanilla oblivion, NO MATTER what i do, the game loads my MO setup. Launching the game through steam is no help.

What can cause this?

15 answers to this question

Welcome to the forums.

Oblivion is a special circumstance with MO. You cannot run the game from MO and use OBSE. You mod in MO and run the game from Steam. MO has to be set up as a script extender in the workarounds tab, which sounds like it is if you are seeing the MO setup when run from steam.

To stop that you would have to go into settings, workaround tab and set the load mechanism to Mod organizer. Shut down MO and restart to make sure it removes the script extender files.

Thank you for the suggestion, I have already tried changing that setting and closed MO but was still getting that MO configuration.

1) I have tried restarting the computer and it seems to have fixed the problem, does that mean if I want to switch between MO with OBSE and the vanilla game I have to restart every time?

2) I have another question regarding OBSE, for Steam version, should I install OBSE through MO or actual game folder? I have heard that MO cannot use OBSE plugins, is it true? or can I install OBSE plugins just as I install obse itself?  

1) No. Restarting the computer is not required between games. Once you get MO installed correctly you should create a 'vanilla' game and just run that from MO.

2) OBSE and all plugins that require it should be installed manually outside of the MO environment. MO can use OBSE plugins however the Steam version makes using them problematic. YMMV.

Well, I think I got the hang of it now:

NOT ONLY must MO be restarded but so should steam :)

Also, I used to Launch the game from MO using the "Oblivion Launcher" (Since it is a Steam Version, launcher automatically loads OBSE anyway) option but I have observed that every time I leave the game (with OBSE the message that "MO is locked while Oblivion.exe is running" is still there after I quitted the game, so I had to manually "unlock" MO.

After this, relaunching the game gives me the message that OBSE isn't there, so I had to restart steam again.

In order to fix this, I just have to launch the game the "Steam" option instead of "Oblivion Launcher" :)

Hello again, I'd like to report more problems from Mod Organizer.

I was trying to install the Oblivion reloaded mod, using MO.

I gave it the highest priority and installed the files using the manual method accordingly.

However I quickly found out that the mod is not perfectly function through MO.

For example, the mod is supposed to replace vanilla animations in 1st person.

But they stay the same unless I install the MOD through OBMM or manually.

In the filetree of the mod I can clearly see - Characters>_male> and 10+ animations in there + the folder called "Idle Anims" so they clearly are installed.

What can cause this?

Is there anything I'm missing?

I also got the same suggestion from the creator :)

Since it has an obse plugin and I have the steam version, if I put the dll files to the actual oblivion folder, can I still install Oblivion Reloaded through MO and use it perfectly?

Steam Oblivion raises a few problems that make using OBSE plugins... tricky. That's the way you will need to install it but some users have found that no matter which way they go, Steam and OBSE plugins just refuse to play nice together.

Try it and see, you may be in the lucky section! ::):

Steam Oblivion raises a few problems that make using OBSE plugins... tricky. That's the way you will need to install it but some users have found that no matter which way they go, Steam and OBSE plugins just refuse to play nice together.

Try it and see, you may be in the lucky section! ::):

Well, I mean all my OBSE plugins, that are located in the actual Oblivion folder as opposted to MO Virtual Data folder work fine :)

But through MO they didn't, that would explain why the Oblivion Reloaded mod was halfway working through MO.

Well, I mean all my OBSE plugins, that are located in the actual Oblivion folder as opposted to MO Virtual Data folder work fine :)

But through MO they didn't, that would explain why the Oblivion Reloaded mod was halfway working through MO.

Yes, ALL OBSE plugins must be in the "real" folder, not the psuedo-virtual folder structure MO uses.

I don't have the Steam version of Oblivion so I'll only advise you on general Steam settings I'd avoid:

• disable the overlay
  • load Steam as 'offline'
  • disable any auto-update features on Steam
  • don't apply to any 'beta' features in Steam (this probably won't apply to Oblivion)

Apart from that I can't see why your Oblivion experience should be any different to mine. I would be very interested to hear which OBSE mods you end up installing and how they work. One of the moderators here, @hishutup, has a guide for Oblivion and he seems to hit issues all the time when using MO, so any good news will be refreshing.

Thanks for the suggestions, in general I don't really have any problem with OBSE plugins but is there any mod that tests if the plugins are running correctly? I'd love to try that ;)

I have MenuQue, OblivionReloaded, ObseElysPluggy, Obse_Kyoma_Menuque, Shademe and sr_Oblivion_Stutter_Remover as of now

OBSE Tester will let you test to see if OBSE is working, but does not test plugins

Well I am aware of OBSE Tester but it is literally useless, If I have some many mods that require OBSE, I will be told if my OBSE is detected.

But when I bring up my console, I used to get messages that certain plugin is not found so some functionalities of a certain mod won't be accessible but after placing the plugins in the actual plugins folder, it worked alright :)