Lucidity Sound FX (by FoggyPath)

Kesta

Ah! I haven't been in the audio menu for so long that I didn't realize! I'll use that to turn it down. I'm sure all those settings are at vanilla levels in my setup because I never adjust them. Thank you for the reminder!

EDIT:

So far, I can recommend this mod but I would like to test it out some more. I'm just getting into Bleak Falls Barrow so I'll be experiencing the dungeons soon.

I've been using this mod for a few weeks and I generally agree that it is a really good choice, although I have not done an extensive comparison with the other sounds currently in STEP. The one aspect I don't like is that some of the doors (notably the door entering Whiterun) seem to have excessive bass and I'm curious what others think about this one. The last time I was checked by an audiologist, I had fairly decent response in the low bass and high treble ranges and very weak response everywhere else in the middle so I'm curious if this one should be tweaked a bit or if I'm not hearing it correctly.

No, I would agree that the doors are fairly loud. Whiterun gate, dragonsreach, Bleak Falls Barrow...all fairly loud. Pretty sure there's not a "door" audio slider. ::P:. Haha! I'm using headphones listening to everything. Footsteps was the very first thing that jumped out at me. Doors was the second.

There's also some funky sound in the ambient loop between Whiterun and Riverwood at night. It almost sounds like a woman screaming but only seems to play once during the loop. Not sure what that is, but it did catch my attention.

Yeah, I use headphones while playing as well. If you get a chance and think about it, walk in the desert between Mixwater Mill, Kynesgrove, and Bonestrewn Crest (I think more toward the south near the falls if I remember correctly). Something in that area sound a lot like the earthquake sounds in Arkngthamz and I don't remember hearing that before.

No, I would agree that the doors are fairly loud. Whiterun gate, dragonsreach, Bleak Falls Barrow...all fairly loud. Pretty sure there's not a "door" audio slider. ::P:. Haha! I'm using headphones listening to everything. Footsteps was the very first thing that jumped out at me. Doors was the second.

There's also some funky sound in the ambient loop between Whiterun and Riverwood at night. It almost sounds like a woman screaming but only seems to play once during the loop. Not sure what that is, but it did catch my attention.

Its adjusted by the effects slider.

It doesnt seems to be that loud in comparison to the other files but if you want to turn it down individually, it can be done but at first glance I don't know how all aspects of DRS sounds are applied

I think I know which sound you're talking about, when I kill the bass enough to keep my windows from rattling that 'scream' stands out. It also occurs at other locations in Skyrim, in the STEP-Extended game set-up. I think I've heard it in vanilla also but I'd need to check again to be sure.

Lucidity is about remastering the vanilla sounds, not replacing with news ones. Therefore, I'm sure that scream was in the vanilla game, just not as audible before. Same goes for the door sounds. The "excess" bass some people commented on is just those frequencies being more clear in the mix.

• +1 2

Yeah, I use headphones while playing as well. If you get a chance and think about it, walk in the desert between Mixwater Mill, Kynesgrove, and Bonestrewn Crest (I think more toward the south near the falls if I remember correctly). Something in that area sound a lot like the earthquake sounds in Arkngthamz and I don't remember hearing that before.

So I've been in the area and I think that sound you mention is just "volcanic activity". That entire area is volcanic so it's only natural to hear those sounds of the ground rumbling and the steam venting.

I actually haven't ran into anything odd but those couple things I've mention in the OP. That "screaming" can, in fact, be heard in other regions as well. It's quite distracting with this mod because it just plays once a loop and has you looking around for a woman in trouble of something.

I just iterated through all audio files in STEP Extended with Lucidity installed and found 519 conflicting audio files (ignoring everything in the Optionals folder) between Audio Overhaul for Skyrimm 2, Better Animal Footsteps, Better Weapon Swing Sounds, Immersive Skyrim Thunder, Improved Combat Sounds, Lower Sounding Thieves Guild Door, Smooth Blade Draw and Sheathe, STEP Mod Compilation, and Ultra Realistic Bow Shoot Sounds -- although Lucidity is not overriding everything in this list.

I created a spreadsheet listing all of the audio files, the mods that provide these audio files, and any notes I've taken so far. An X in a column indicates this mod provides this audio file. STEP in a column indicates this is the mod providing this sound in STEP Core/Extended.

So far I think we should keep Immersive Skyrim Thunder, Lower Sounding Thieves Guild Door, and Ultra Realistic Bow Shoot Sounds if we accept Lucidity. I haven't gone through all the other mods yet. Of course the big challenge is comparing Lucidity with Audio Overhaul of Skyrim 2. I compared the first four and found that they are almost the same except Lucidity has a bit more bassy rumble.

Wow, thanks for this, Greg! :-)

One other thing we should keep in mind is how the reverb changes from AOS affect things. AOS increases the reverb values through the plugin by quite a bit. Even if using the AOS reduced reverb patch, it is still much higher than vanilla - 3 or 4 times IIRC. And as Foggypath mentioned in his post, Lucidity is based on the vanilla reverb values.

Make that 605 audio files that also includes Better Horse Pain Sounds and Skeleton after updating to Lucidity Sound FX 1i.

@Nebulous: You're right, although I don't have a good handle on how to compare the files in Audio Overhaul of Skyrim 2 with the altered reverb in the plugin.