Help

PCNinja

Question

Hi, all. First post, but never really needed to before. I'm kinda at the end of my rope. I stopped playing Skyrim for a while, but started up again recently. Everything was fine till I added a few mods I found interesting. So after going nuts with crashes and all I decided that STEP should be much better than it was when I did it before. After deleting everything to start a fresh install and following the guide closely I've still got issues. No crashes, but I've got a lot of lag (I had some before, but this is much worse). I've tried several different things, changing the setting in skrim.ini and skyrimpref.ini, with and without ENB, different setting in enblocal.ini, with and without SLI enabled, with and without VSync, different combinations of stuff. I even dialed down my graphics distance so low I'm getting attacked by bandits I can't even see. I'm really hoping someone takes pity on me...lol. My computer is several years old, but it was pretty hot when I got it. Not sure what info you might need from me, but I'll list a couple of the obvious:

CPU: Intel I7 920 2.7GHz

RAM: 6GHz

Video: 2x nVidia GTS 250

I could post my ini files, but bear in mind the settings have changed many times while trying to figure this out (and it doesn't seem to make a huge impact).

Edited by PCNinja

This may be a silly question, but how long have you tested it? I had a similar issue with my set-up on hardware I considered semi-decent - everything ran smooth until I turned around quickly, whereupon I would get some stuttering. I also played with my enblocal.ini values before giving up since going up or down didn't provide much of an improvement. I also tried running in border-less window, which I read would help, without improved. I gave up trying to fix it, intending to come back to it once I had done some other tests.

Then I realized it had disappeared. After playing with several mod packs, which meant lots of new starts with the alternate start mod, I came to realise I am affected by this stuttering each time I start a new game, the first time I am in an outdoor environment, and it goes away after about 5 minutes. Since I was playing around for a minute or two, then thinking "hmm, that's annoying. Wonder if changing my configuration will help" and quiting to change things, I didn't notice it was only a temporary problem.

I suspect one (or several) of my mods is running some sort of one-time initialization script when outdoors (perhaps DynDoLOD?). It is funny it only manifests itself when 'spinning', but I guess that due to the fact the game needs to load in textures in quick succession under load. 

Forgive me if you experience this stutter constantly, but I thought I should mention it since I fell in to the trap of reading the wiki warnings about 'stutter' and thought I was affected, when what I experienced was normally, I have come to understand. 

I am sooo happy right now...lol. Well, in case anyone is interested I'll tell you what happened. I noticed that my RAM said 12GB installed, but only 8GB was available. I thought I might have a bad stick, but when I opened my case I noticed one stick wasn't seated properly. Once seated the triple channels came up. I still need to dial down the reserved memory, but it's running good. I lost my first 2 fights because I'd gotten so used to the lag I kept overcompensating my movements...lol. Out of curiosity, what happens if my reserve memory is set too high? Now I only have one other thing to figure out...since the graphics and resolution are so good now, how do I get the women to look hot AND still realistic...  ;-)

Edited by PCNinja

Why isn't the standard the minimum(64)?

When we put together the ENBoost page, we were all still fairly new with it. I would recommend it be set to at least 256 in most cases for STEP and lowered by the user if possible and no stuttering is introduced by doing so. 512 is a lot of memory that is being reserved for ENBoost which some is likely being wasted.

Ok it seemed to be running good, but now that I've settled in I noticed that I am still getting some lag outdoors. What's weird is that it doesn't seem to matter what I change it doesn't improve. Also, I've noticed that I will see a creature attacking me on the HUD (the red dot), but they don't pop up visually until they are almost on top of me. Any thoughts?

Grrrr...Windstad Manor has invisible foundation and doors... I don't have a save from right before building and I've tried disabling every mod, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

In the future when you want to ask questions, would you please create a new post with an appropriate title. This allows new users searching for similar issues to find relevant material easier.

This is also explained in the STEP Community Citizenship Guidelines.